Interesting People mailing list archives

British Telecom

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 1994 07:03:39 -0500

Date: Wed, 16 Nov 1994 00:24:57 +0100
To: farber () central cis upenn edu
From: Brian.Randell () newcastle ac uk (Brian Randell)
Dave:

There have been items in the UK press today, I assume inspired by a press
release which you already have access to, about Microsoft's plans for
networked PC-based information services. What was particularly interesting
was that it was stated that British Teleccom is involved, particularly in
the light of the following comments I just received from a colleague.

Which reminds me. BT announced their new "Internet Access Service" with the
usual glossy brochure and large stand at the INET/JENC in Prague in June,
with a launch date of 1st Sept (which I reported to some of you). I havn't
been able to get any more information. The phone number isn't answered, nor
is email. This morning I persisted and rang their press office. he referred
me to 152. After a rather amusing 5 minutes ("what was that service again",
"oh computers", enlightenment: "oh, I see, the *computers* talk to each
other" (how's that for the telephone mind-set?)) I finally got through to
an 0800 number ("how did you find out about this number?"). It appears that
the announcement is delayed yet again to the end of the year, or perhaps
January. She took my name and promised to post something. I did make an
attempt to suggest email, but it was met with a snide comment about
internet email not having acknowledgements and thus not being reliable.

Sigh. :-(   I still suspect that the big problem is pricing relative to
their X.25 and Frame Relay services - i.e. either they will make the price
similar to their other services and it will be uncompetitive on the
Internet market, or the price will be competitive on the Internet merket
and will blow their other services away.

Cheers

Brian

Dept. of Computing Science, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK
EMAIL = Brian.Randell () newcastle ac uk   PHONE = +44 91 222 7923
FAX = +44 91 222 8232