Interesting People mailing list archives

DEF CON II Convention (PRZ Keynote Speaker)

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 21 May 1994 10:02:58 -0400

        Updated Last : 5.13.1994  Only three months to go!

--> Updated sections will have a "*" next to them for easier location.
--> New Speaking Schedule

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XX     DEF CON II Convention Update Announcement
XXXXXXXxxxxXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XX   DEF CON II Convention Update Announcement
XXXXXXxxxxxxXXXXXX  X    X      DEF CON II Convention Update Announcement
XXXXXxxxxxxxxXXXXXXX  X         DEF CON II Convention Update Announcement
XXXXxxxxxxxxxxXXXX XXXXXXXXX    DEF CON II Convention Update Announcement
XXXxxxxxxxxxxxxXXXXXXXXXX X     DEF CON II Convention Update Announcement
XXxxxxxxxxxxxxxxXXXXXX  XX  X   DEF CON II Convention Update Announcement
XXXxxxxxxxxxxxxXXXXXXXX         DEF CON II Convention Update Announcement
XXXXxxxxxxxxxxXXXXXXXX X XX     DEF CON II Convention Update Announcement
XXXXXxxxxxxxxXXXXXXXXXX  XX X   DEF CON II Convention Update Announcement
XXXXXXxxxxxxXXXXXXXXX X         DEF CON II Convention Update Announcement
XXXXXXXxxxxXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX      DEF CON II Convention Update Announcement
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX DEF CON II Convention Update Announcement

READ & DISTRIBUTE & READ & DISTRIBUTE & READ & DISTRIBUTE & READ & DISTRIBU

What's this?  This is an updated announcement and invitation to DEF CON II,
a convention for the "underground" elements of the computer culture.  We try
to target the (Fill in your favorite word here): Hackers, Phreaks, Hammies,
Virii Coders, Programmers, Crackers, Cyberpunk Wannabees, Civil Liberties
Groups, CypherPunks, Futurists, Artists, Etc..

WHO:   You know who you are, you shady characters.
WHAT:  A convention for you to meet, party, and listen to some speeches
       that you would normally never hear.
WHEN:  July 22, 23, 24 - 1994 (Speaking on the 23rd and 24th)
WHERE: Las Vegas, Nevada @ The Sahara Hotel

So you heard about DEF CON I, and want to hit part II?  You heard about the
parties, the info discussed, the bizarre atmosphere of Las Vegas and want to
check it out in person?  Load up your laptop muffy, we're heading to Vegas!

Here is what Three out of Three people said about last years convention:

"DEF CON I, last week in Las Vegas, was both the strangest and the best
computer event I have attended in years." -- Robert X. Cringely, Info World

"Toto, I don't think we're at COMDEX anymore." -- CodeRipper, Gray Areas

"Soon we were at the hotel going through the spoils: fax sheets, catalogs,
bits of torn paper, a few McDonald's Dino-Meals and lots of coffee grounds.
The documents disappeared in seconds."  -- Gillian Newson, New Media Magazine

                                DESCRIPTION

Last year we held DEF CON I, which went over great, and this year we are
planning on being bigger and better.  We have expanded the number of
speakers to included midnight tech talks and additional speaking on Sunday.
We attempt to bring the underground into contact with "legitimate" speakers.
Sure it's great to meet and party with fellow hackers, but besides that we
try to provide information and speakers in a forum that can't be found at
other conferences.

While there is an initial concern that this is just another excuse for the
evil hackers to party and wreak havoc, it's just not the case.  People come
to DEF CON for information and for making contacts.  We strive to distinguish
this convention from others in that respect.

                            WHAT'S NEW THIS YEAR

This year will be much larger and more organized (hopefully) than last year.
We have a much larger meeting area, and have better name recognition.
Because of this we will have more speakers on broader topics.  Expect
speaking to run Saturday and Sunday, ending around 5 p.m.  Some of the new
things expected include:

An Internet connection with sixteen ports will be there, _BUT_ will only
  provide serial connections because terminals are too hard to ship.  So
  bring a laptop with communications software if you want to connect to the
  network.  Thanks to cyberlink communications for the connection.

  The connection will be at least a 28.8kbps slip, and we are working with
  the hotel to try and set up a 56k line for the weekend.

There will be door prizes, and someone has already donated a Cell Phone
  and a few "Forbidden Subjects" CD ROMs to give away, thanks to Dead Addict.
* People have decided to bring all types of cool old and new stuff to give
  away from ancient 300 acoustic modems to an oki 900 cell phone.  Crazy!

Torquie (Remember her from last year?) will try and present the World
  Premier Showing of her Documentary of the computer underground, as
  shot in the United States and Europe.  Should be a great show.. who knows,
  you might see someone you know.  Editing is being done on the project now.

Dr. Ludwig will present his virus creation awards on Sunday.

A bigger and better "Spot The Fed" contest, which means more shirts to
  give away.  Plus this year we can expect a newer and greater variety
  of Federal agents in attendance.  Should be acronym alphabet soup!

More room, we should have tables set up for information distribution.
  If you have anything you want distributed, feel free to leave it on the
  designated tables.  Yes, this year there will be a true 24 hour
  convention space.

* Talk about more room! The Sahara moved us into "Room #1" (See uuencoded
  .gif floorplan in the follow up file) which has an unbelievable amount
  of space.. we're talking 750 people to 900 people.  Should be plenty of
  space.  We might try and partition a section off and show the movies there
  instead of having people run up to a movie suite elsewhere.

A 24 hour movie / video suite where we will be playing all types of stuff.
  VHS Format.  Mail me with suggested titles to show, or bring your own.
  We'll use a wall projector when not in use by speakers.

Midnight Tech Talks on Friday and Saturday night to cover the more
  technical topics and leave the days free for more general discussions.

* Friday night will be conspiracy night, along with a video conference
  dealing with unix and Internet security and an assembly programming
  workshop on twenty ways to trash a PC.

* Saturday night will be a radio and cellular workshop night.

WHO IS SPEAKING:=============================================================

This list represents almost all of the speakers verified to date.  Some
people do not want to be announced until the event for various reasons, or
are waiting for approval from employers.  A speaking schedule will go out
in the next announcement.

Speaker, Who they are, Topic to be covered

Philip Zimmerman, Notorious Cryptographer & Author of PGP.  Keynote Address.

Dr. Ludwig, Author of "The Little Black Book of Computer Viruses," and
                      "Computer Viruses, Artificial Life and Evolution"

Loyd Blankenship (The Mentor), Net Running in the 90's and RPG.

Padgett Peterson, Anti-Virus Programmer, "What it's like to clean up other
                  peoples messes"

The Jackal, A Radio Communications Overview, Digital Radio and the Hack Angle.

Judi Clark, Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility.

Gail Thackery, (Of Operation Sun Devil Fame), Topic to be Announced.

To be Announced, The Software Publishers Association, Topic to be Announced.

Toni Ames, Ex US West Cellular Fraud, Cellular Fraud Topics.

Mark, Cellular Enthusiast, Hacking Cell Phones.

Lorax, The Lighter Side of VMBs.

(Peter Shipley, UNIX Stud, Q&A on UNIX Security)

George Smith, Crypt Newsletter, Virus Topic to be Announced.

Cathy Compton, Attorney, Q&A Surrounding Seizure Issues, Etc.

John Littman, Reporter and Author, Conspiracy 'stuff'

Red Five & Hellbender, Madmen With a Camcorder, Who Knows?

Erik Bloodaxe, Phrack Editor, Weird Wireless Psycho Shit.. Stay Tuned..

Curtis Karnow, Attorney, Legal issues surrounding encryption systems.

* Mystery, UNIX god, UNIX Security stuff. (Video conference)

* Mystery, Mystery, Cool toys.

Torquie, Independent film producer from London, The European scene.