Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: test of Bell Atlanta Announcement

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 19 May 1994 11:27:04 -0500

Dave,

As best I can tell, the word "interactive" in Bell Atlantic's
announcement doesn't mean what most of us think when we use the word.
So far as I can tell, they are not thinking about the Internet or the
web.  "Interactive" is something like selecting which movie to watch
and/or pausing it while going to the refrigerator for a snack.
Services like CommerceNet simply aren't part of the model.  I'd love
to be proven wrong, but I fear the Bell-Atlantic announcement is
simply aimed at creating the impression they're offering a much more
interesting service than they are.  This is not the information
highway; this is the six-lane off-ramp to the Cyber-Disney aumsement
park.

I don't want my name associated with this message, but feel free to
distribute the text.