Interesting People mailing list archives

an intel "technology announcement" [still trying to decode the "image" .. djf]

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 4 May 1994 19:18:05 -0400

Prepared by Ken Harper & Mike Richmond

        Background:  As reported in the Wall Street Journal on Friday,
April 22, beginning in May, Intel and CNN will be testing "LAN TV"
technology at several sites in San Francisco.  The attached press
release was distributed over BusinessWire this morning at 11:02am.

        Using technology developed at the Intel Architecture Labs, these
beta sites will be receiving via corporate local area networks (LAN) an
enhanced version of CNN's 24 hour news service and Headline News.  Intel
is providing "multicast" technology and CNN is providing the content for
these tests.   This is TV over "narrow band" LAN, not "broadband" cable.

        The  technical achievement here is that Intel's multicast video
technology uses less than 5% of bandwidth on existing Ethernet LANs.
Bill Caffery, Director of the Gartner Group's Advanced Technology Group,
described this as a "technological tour de force."

        The multicast technology consists of a Intel486-based gateway
(NOT SERVER), which uses an Intel Smart Video Recorder to capture and
compress the analog signal from CNN.   Also, Intel has developed the
enabling software. Indeo (TM) Video is the codec compression
-decompression algorithm), the critical software ingredient that enables
the compression/decompression and transport of the video "live" to the
client PC on the LAN.   (I.E., this is "real-time" video, not store
-and-foreward video, not video-on-demand.)

        During the test, users will test various features, including a
"virtual VCR capability,"  enabling users to record and playback the CNN
programming.  There are program indexing features as well, enabling
users to select which stories they wish to view.

KEY MESSAGES:

        1.  This is a technology announcement, not a product
announcement.

        2.  Intel's multicast video technology runs over the existing
corporate infrastructure.  I.e., Intel has made "video safe for the
LAN."

        3.  This is LAN TV intended for the business environment; i.e.,
video over existing narrowband (Ethernet) transport infrastructure.
This is not to be confused with Intel activity in set-top cable boxes or
cable adapters/modems, where the transport mechanism is cable TV.

Questions & Answers:

1.  What have Intel and CNN announced?

        Beginning in May, Intel and CNN will be testing "LAN TV"
technology at several sites.  Using technology developed at the Intel
Architecture Labs, these beta sites will be receiving via corporate
local area networks (LAN) an enhanced version of CNN's 24 hour news
service and Headline News.  Intel is providing "multicast" technology
and CNN is providing the content for these tests.   This is TV over
existing "narrow band" LANs, not "broadband" cable.

        The crowning technical achievement here is that Intel's
multicast video technology uses less than 5% of bandwidth on existing
Ethernet LANs.  Bill Caffery, Director of the Gartner Group's Advanced
Technology Group, described this as a "technological tour de force."

2.      How does this deal fit into Intel's Corporate Strategy?

A.      The PC is already the premier information appliance in business.
 Adding video delivery to the PC platform is an obvious extension of
what we are doing in local area networks and in digital video for
business.

3.      How does this deal fit into CNN's strategy?

A.      CNN is constantly looking to expand delivery of live news and
information to new and diverse audiences.  The business PC represents
the window into a whole new audience of decision makers at work.

4.      Is CNN working with other technology companies for LAN TV
applications?

A.      No.

5.      Why is Intel working with CNN on TV for the corporate LAN?

A.      We believe demonstrating a solution with a single partner is the
key first step in developing a market for LAN TV.  Our early research
pointed clearly to CNN as the first offering business people would
expect to see in the workplace. But clearly, the technology is
independent of the content and vice versa.

6.      When will the product be available and who will sell it?
A.   This is a trial.  We can't discuss what kind of marketing plan
might be appropriate for products based on this technology.  We will
know a lot more after the trial is complete.

7.      What will the price of the product be?

A. We can't discuss what kind of marketing plan might be appropriate for
products based on this technology.  We will know a lot more after the
trial is complete.

The following is an attached File item from cc:Mail.  It contains
eight bit information which had to be encoded to insure successful trans-
mission through various mail systems.  To decode the file use the UUDECODE
program.

Attachment converted: DUO PcPond:cnn.doc (????/----) (0000D803)
[no attachment in this mail from em.. djf]