Interesting People mailing list archives

Thomas Jefferson on the Two-edged Sword of Strong Encryption

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 24 May 1994 13:08:24 -0400

From: mckeever () cogsci uwo ca (Paul McKeever)

We often have seen the words of Benjamin Franklin quoted
to justify the choice of strong encryption over
government-prone systems like Clipper.  BF's words go
something like: One who trades his privacy to government
in exchange for security will end up with neither.

I was reading some Jefferson the other day and found the
following passage.  It comes from a letter written to
M. De Meusnier on January 24, 1786.  M. De Meusnier was
in the process of writing the econmonic, political, and
diplomatic section of the Encyclopedie Politique, and had
asked for Thomas Jefferson's input.  I believe the
passage provides Jefferson's opinion on the matter of
the double-edged sword introduced by encryption (security
v.s. privacy from government).  Here it is:

     "It has been said, too, that our governments, both
      federal and particular, want energy; that it is
      difficult to restrain both individuals and States from
      committing wrong.  This is true, and it is an
      inconvenience.  On the other hand, that energy which
      absolute governments derive from an armed force, which
      is the effect of the bayonet constantly held at the
      breast of every citizen, and which resembles very much
      the stillness of the grave, must be admitted also to have
      its inconveniences.  We wigh the two together, and like
      best to submit to the former.  Compare the number of wrongs
      committed with impunity by citizens among us with those
      committed by the sovereign in other countries, and the
      last will be found most numerous, most oppressive on
      the mind, and most degrading of the dignity of man."

Regards,

Paul McKeever