Interesting People mailing list archives

New Public Television Show on Cyberspace

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 1994 23:42:53 -0500

Posted-Date: Sat, 12 Mar 1994 16:03:50 -0500
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 1994 16:03:45 -0500
To: farber () central cis upenn edu, eff-staff () eff org, eff-board () eff org
From: mkapor () kei com (Mitchell Kapor)
Subject: New Public Television Show on Cyberspace

FYI, following is a brief synopsis of a new project I am involved with.

I have had several meetings with WGBH (Boston's PBS station) local
programming folks about a shared interest in a series of shows that will
attempt to explore changes in communications technologies. Those changes
are loosely embraced by the "Information Superhighway" vision: a new world
of instant access to global resources (entertainment and information) via
computers and enhanced TV.

The working premise is that the show will be studio based with me as host.
The elements will include interviews and discussions with in-studio guests,
with the option of packaging field produced pieces as well. We imagine
heavy reliance on computer-based graphics and simple animations as a device
for explaining technical aspects of the development of the Information
Superhighway.

We are exploring the idea of using virtual rather than physical sets for
the show, that is, having the show take place "in Cyberspace".

The pilot will be shot within 90 days and will be shown locally.  After
that, if all goes well we will move towards broader distribution and
regular production.

(Dave, it's ok to circulate this to interesting-people)