Interesting People mailing list archives

Fwd: Re: Role-playing Addiction -- I have full article if wanted djf

From: David J Farber <farber () radiomail net>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 1994 09:23:00 PST

----- Forwarded Message

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 1994 11:42:34 -0500 (EST)
From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic () eff org>
Subject: Re: Role-playing Addiction -- I have full article if wanted djf
To: farber () central cis upenn edu (David Farber)
Cc: interesting-people () central cis upenn edu

Dave quotes Mich Kobay, who writes the following:

Washington Post Staff Writer John Schwartz has published a moving and
insightful article entitled, "Game Boy."  It explores the life and death of
an eighteen year old man addicted to cyberspace role-playing.  I have asked
Mr Schwartz for permission to post the original article in its entirety.  For
the time being, here's a brief summary.

<Much text deleted>

<<end summary>>

This young man, isolated from a local community, unhappy in his own skin,
found happiness as a different person in a different world.  The pity is that
he lost touch with his own body's needs.

Like a rat on an endorphin high, poor Nathaniel died from addiction to his
own form of satisfaction.

It should be noted that this is not the thrust of the Schwartz story at
all. In fact, the story suggests just the opposite--that although Tom
Davenport thought his son's behavior was an addiction, when he began to
explore the world of MUDs and MOOs, he discovered that his son was leading
a rich and fulfilling life, and that he'd connected to a lot of people.

I strongly believe that anyone who reads Schwartz's story as a cautionary
tale about MUD addiction has missed the point.

--Mike