Interesting People mailing list archives

A comment re "Summit" I could not agree more!!!!!

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 1994 09:53:41 -0500

Posted-Date: Wed, 30 Mar 1994 09:31:41 -0500
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 1994 09:31:41 -0500
To: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
From: Charles Brownstein <cbrownst () CNRI Reston VA US>
Subject: Re: Report Live from the Summit from Frank Burns [I missed it
since I am recovering from a bad flu bug so I can not vouch for spin ..
djf]

I heard some of the radio talk show about this Summit meeting on NPR. From
what I heard, it appears the NII has become sort of a national Rorshock
object worthy of Rush Limbaugh. Callers projected every sort of fear and
phobia.

The host, Derick Mcginty, magnified many questions into simple
disinformation. "Experts" from academia (mostly profs from schools of
journalism who seem to miss the good old days and have no idea of what is
happening in technology or what the Internet actually IS) offered every
sort of ad hominym conclusion. Such circumstances create an environment
ripe for excessive government intervention, via processes readily
accessible to those who know how to manipulate the representatives of the
people (industry and special interest groups).

It seems time for some serious concept definition and educaton, to go along
with the necessary political jargon and simplification that is needed to
get the issues on the agenda. That would serve the public interest.

Charles N. Brownstein
Executive Director
Cross-Industry Working Team
1895 Preston White Drive