Interesting People mailing list archives

Postmaster Gen'l wants to "certify elec.msgs. for privacy" ???

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 1994 19:49:01 -0500

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 94 15:41:11 PST
From: jwarren () autodesk com (Jim Warren)

Just got this from Jon Erickson, Ed-in-Chief of Dr. Dobb's Journal.  Part of
it came from an Associated Press story by Randolph Schmidt; part from Jon's
follow-up conversations with folks at USPS, including their new Technology
Applications Group.  I consider it likely, reliable, but not authoritative.
--jim

Reportedly:
  Postmaster General Marvin Runyon suggested that the Postal Service should be
certifying electronic messages to safeguard privacy, "securing one company's
market-sensitive information from the intruding eyes of its competitors," or
so he said in March 24th testimony before the Senate Governmental Affairs
Subcommittee.  The AP story apparently somewhat mentioned Commerce and the
Department of Justice, but not the detailed link.
  Jon called USPS and worked his way beyond the p.r. flacks.  Asked if this
proposal to certify electronic messages to assure their privacy and its
coordinating with Commerce and Justice was a reference to Clipper, and he
was told yes.

It appears that the PM General has proposed that the USPS get in the business
of certifying electronic messages [via what channels?] to assure their
INsecurity by using Capstone/Clipper/Skipjack.

Advanced Technology Group is also working on handwriting recognition -- but
only for recognizing addresses on letters, I'm sure.

--jim
Jim Warren, columnist for MicroTimes, Government Technology, BoardWatch, etc.
jwarren () well sf ca us  -or-  jwarren () autodesk com
345 Swett Rd., Woodside CA 94062; voice/415-851-7075; fax/415-851-2814

1984 is a bit late this decade.  But it does appear to be arriving.
Feel free to repost and resend.  I'm bcc'ing to lots of others.