Interesting People mailing list archives

MacPGP is a nice travel tool

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 1994 11:32:19 -0400

From: bjm () umnstat stat umn edu (Bret J. Musser)
Subject: MacPGP is a nice travel tool
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 1994 04:01:25 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.security.pgp

As I've been preparing for my upcoming international trip, I realize that
MacPGP is a great traveling companion.

Think of the Old Way: you worry about your financial information
falling in the wrong hands as you write down your credit card
numbers and travelers cheque information on a sheet of paper.

Nowadays, you just use MacPGP and create some self-decrypting files!  Put
all of your information in a SDF and then copy that onto a few disks (one
per bag).  The Bad Guys (a) won't bother a disk and (b) won't be able to
guess your chosen password.  If you do need your information, just take the
disk to a friend or a computer store or wherever else you can use a computer
and unpack it.  With the widespread use of computers, you can always find a
macintosh within a stone's throw.

Well, now that my financial information is secure I'm off to enjoy my
vacation.  I hope this helps you prepare for your next trip!

Cheers,

Bret Musser
- --
 Bret J. Musser -- Univ. of Minn.  -- Dept. of Statistics -- bjm () stat umn edu
        http://stat.umn.edu/~bjm/ -- PGP key available on request