Interesting People mailing list archives

Bell South Mobilcom -- are they for real

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 1994 15:44:42 -0400

I want to tell a story which I believe illustrates the complete
incompetence of at least one of the players in the NII -- Bell South
Mobilcom.

I bought a Swatch Watch beeper on Thursday from my local ATT Phonestore. I
called Mobilcom retail activation service who agreed with the ATT
Phonestore that service would be made within 2 to 4 hours. After 8 hours, I
called back to see what happened and they said -- oh, we cannot do anything
that fast. It will be tomorrow. Both ATT and me were explicitly told the 2
to 4 hours and indeed their recording while you wait (endlessly) said
essentially the same thing.

Well, I finally got the number Friday am and suddenly on Friday night calls
to my pager number get rapid busy. I called Mobilcom and was told -- we
don't have any technical people on weekends and can thus do nothing till
Monday. Sorry!!

Well they charge me by the day and yet they clearly dont understand
service, customer relations or the importance of communications.

Real mickey mouse organization. By the way this is not the first such poor
interaction with them. The first was with the Apple Newton paging card. To
be genereous, at that time they showed a complete lack of understanding of
the consumer and the marketplace. Now at least they will sell you on
weekends. Before they closed at 5 PM Friday.

Where is the old idea of customer service!!!!

I will most likely return my Watch to ATT on the grounds that the
advertisement was false which talked about round the clock service for the
businessman.

Wonder if the Cable people are any better.

Dave