Interesting People mailing list archives

crypto usacm study -- chairs comments

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 1994 15:48:23 -0400

Date: Wed, 29 Jun 94 10:15:09 -0400
From: Steve Kent <kent () BBN COM>
Subject: ACM crypto policy panel chairman's statement [See RISKS-16.19]

   [The following statement could have been included along with the crypto
   policy panel message and the USACM message in RISKS-16.19, providing an
   explanation of the distinction between the two messages and their
   origins.  Steve's statement was read as part of the press conference
   noted in RISKS-16.19, which Steve could not attend.  I have chosen to
   reproduce it here.  PGN]

        Barbara Simons, chair of the USACM committee recruited me to organize
this panel a little over a year ago, after the announcement of the escrowed
encryption initiative.  Barbara provided suggestions for candidate panel
members, but allowed me complete freedom in inviting panel members.  Barbara
also pointed me towards Susan Landau as a candidate staff member to support
the panel, and I am especially grateful for that recommendation as Susan has
done a tremendous job in writing this report, from inputs provided by the
panel members, from her own research, and through extensive editing sessions
including all of the panel members.

        The panel I assembled is intentionally a mix of individuals with
represent differing perspectives on the complex issues surrounding crypto
policy.  These individuals work for a variety of organizations, including
government agencies, academia, commercial and non-profit organizations. These
organizations graciously donated the participants' time so that they could
participate in this activity.  The panel members did not represent these
organizations in the production of this report, but rather contributed as
individuals.

        The panel members worked together in a cooperative effort to produce a
consensus report.  Not all panel members agree with all of the statements
contained in this report and the report contains no policy recommendations,
because of the diverse panel membership.  The report distinguishes between
facts, opinions and speculation.  It provides a very balanced discussion of
many of the issues that surround the debate on crypto policy, and we hope that
it will serve as a foundation for further public debate on this topic.  I
personally became better informed about some of these issues as a result of
working on this report and I suspect many of the panel members also gained
personally from their participation.

        The statement of the USACM committee, which Barbara will read, and
which is available in hardcopy form, should be viewed as independent of this
report.  The USACM committee reviewed this report, and suggested a variety of
changes, some of which were acted upon while others were not.  Both the panel
and the USACM committee agree on the need for continued public debate on this
topic.  However, the specific recommendations of the USACM committee do not
reflect the consensus views of the panel nor are they necessarily supported by
the contents of this report.  The press, policy makers, and the public should
read the report and use it as a starting point in reaching their own
conclusions about these issues.