Interesting People mailing list archives

ACM Panel Report "Codes, Keys and Conflicts..." [ if someone would send me a

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 1994 19:18:06 -0400

From: padgett@141.240.2.145 (Padgett 0sirius)
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 1994 14:27:45

At first look I thought this was going to be a Clipper report. Instead I
found 50-odd pages of historical perspective and political background
starting with the civil war and followed by 2 1/4 pages of generic
questions (and no answers). The only technical equations are on page eight,
a description of Diffie-Hellman key exchange.

Susan Landau (a research associate professor at the University of
Massachusetts) provided some very nice wordsmithing but I really do not know
what the rest of the distinguished panel added other than citations.

To me, it read more like a legal brief than anything else. It is
interesting (particularly the thoughts of the 1928 Supreme Court),
just not what I expected.

Perhaps this is the introduction and the real meat is yet to come...

                        A. Padgett Peterson, P.E.
                        Cybernetic Psychophysicist
                           We also walk dogs
                       PGP 2.4 Public Key Available