Interesting People mailing list archives

COMMITTEE ON SCIENCE, SPACE, AND TECHNOLOGY

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 1994 18:37:15 -0400

             COMMITTEE ON SCIENCE, SPACE, AND TECHNOLOGY

                      U.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

                   2320 RAYBURN HOUSE OFFICE BUILDING

                         WASHINGTON, D.C.  20515

                      Press Office:  (202) 225-3359

  DOD APPROPRIATIONS PASSES IN LATE-NIGHT RUSH TO ADJOURN; CUTS

$900 MILLION IN UNIVERSITY RESEARCH, ADDS $67 MILLION IN EARMARKS

     Washington -- In a late-night rush to adjourn for the

Independence Day recess, the House yesterday deliberated for a mere

15 minutes before passing a $240-billion spending bill for the

Department of Defense that recommends cutting one-half of the

President's FY95 request of $1.8 billion for university research.

     "Having just spent four days chairing Floor consideration of

the Commerce, State, Justice appropriations bill -- totalling $27

billion -- I am disappointed but frankly not surprised that the

House devoted so little time and thought for a defense bill ten

times more massive that recommends gutting defense-related

university research to the tune of nearly a billion dollars," said

Rep. George E. Brown, Jr., who chairs the Committee on Science,

Space, and Technology of the House.  "I must observe that if anyone

in this body believed that this cut was going to stand up in the

Senate or in conference, we would be hearing howls of rage," Brown

added.

     Appropriations subcommittee members had argued that the cuts

were necessary to fund defense readiness programs.  Yet Rep. Brown

observed that the final bill, which passed 330-91, contains at

least $67 million in academic earmarks and tens of millions more

in very detailed spending instructions.

     The House took up the Rule on the bill (H. Res. 469) at 10:28

p.m. and adopted the Rule at 10:29 p.m.  The bill itself, HR 4454,

was brought up at 10:35 p.m. under a unanimous consent motion

limiting general debate to five minutes.  Two amendments later, at

10:50 p.m., the House voted on final passage, which occurred at

11:16 p.m.

     "If these university research cuts stand, they will directly

undermine the Department of Defense's Science and Technology

strategy and the President's technology plan.  The research cuts

recommended in this bill provide direct support for advanced

technology development at DOD, and represent a critical

investment in the future of both our national security and our

economic vitality," Brown noted.

     Brown's remarks for the Congressional Record and a

preliminary list of earmarks found by Committee staff in the DOD

bill are attached.

MR. BROWN OF CALIFORNIA.  Mr. Chairman, I rise more in regret than

in anger, to call attention to a provision in the DOD

appropriation Committee report.  The report recommends that support

for university research be cut by 50% from an estimated $1.8

billion to $900 million.

I must observe that if anyone in this body believed that this cut

was going to stand up in the Senate or in Conference, we would be

hearing howls of rage.  As it is, we hear no howls and no rage.

The silence on this cut is deafening, but for those of us who are

old hands in this institution, it speaks volumes.

If this cut stood, some of our most prestigious institutions of

education and reseach would be severely damaged.  Among the top

ten recipients of DOD funding one finds the University of Texas,

the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Johns Hopkins

University, the University of Washington, Georgia Tech and

Stanford University.  I may not be much of a vote counter, but a

coalition that includes Members from the states of Texas,

Massachusetts, Maryland, Georgia, California and the Speaker's home

state of Washington is not a bad base from which to start.  If

there needs to be a legislative fix to this problem, I am confident

one would be engineered.

If this cut stood it would directly undermine the Department of

Defense's Science and Technology strategy and the President's

technology plan.  DOD support for research at Universities is

focused on areas of particular concern to the Department:

electrical engineering, laser and optical sciences, materials

science, applied mathematics and computer science.  These same

fields are among the areas of emphasis laid out by the President

in his technology initiatives.  In short, the research cuts that

are recommended in the report accompanying this bill provide direct

support for advanced technology development at the

Department of Defense.  They also represent a critical investment

in the future of both our national security and our economic

vitality.

With all the dire consequences that would be provoked by this cut,

our silence may be difficult for the public, especially our friends

in Universities around the nation, to understand.  I will explain

it for their benefit.  All of us here in this body assume, and I

think correctly, that this problem will go away in the Senate and

in Conference and the money will be restored. There is no fight

over this cut because, for all practical purposes, there is no cut

to fight over.

I want to make two additional points.  Its been said that nothing

is given so profusely as advice.  This entire 300 page report from

the Appropriations Committee is full of nothing but advice--some

of it very detailed.  The distinguished gentleman from Pennsylvania

made this very point on Monday during the Full Committee consider-

ation of this bill.  As this report simply contains recommenda-

tions, the Department can consider and reject that advice if it

fails to fit with the priorities of the Department.  Secondly,

despite the "fiscal constraints" that inspired the 50% cut in

university research, this bill and report includes at least $67

million in academic earmarks according to an analysis by my staff.

In addition, there are tens of millions in other very detailed

spending instructions to the Department, some of which are

certainly for academic earmarks.  While this is down considerably

from years before, and represents a standard to which we should

hold this bill when it comes back from conference, it is still a

cause for concern.   I will enter a list of known academic earmarks

for the record.

Finally, I note that press reports regarding the cuts in

university research have quoted my colleague from Pennsylvania as

expressing a concern regarding the costs of research overhead. I

assure him that I share his concerns regarding indirect costs and

my Committee has held a hearing on this issue.  I would be happy

to hold joint hearings with my Friend if he would like to work with

me to address this issue.

                             *  *  *

List of Academic Earmarks (Preliminary)

Department of Defense Appropriations Bill, 1995

Report of the Committee on Appropriations

1.   National Defense Center of Environmental Excellence/Univ. of

     Pittsburgh -- $18 million (p. 97)

2.   Combat Rations Advanced Manufacturing Technology

     Demo/Rutgers University -- $2.8 million (p. 204)

3.   Facility Environmental Management and Monitoring System/NDCEE

(University of Pittsburgh) -- $5 million      (p.208)

4.   Advanced Marine Technology Center/University of New

     Orleans -- $4 million (p. 220)

5.   Continued Development and Applications of a Cost-effective

     Remote Semi-autonomous Underwater Oceanographic and

     Environmental Measure Capability/Unknown Institution --

     $10.1 million (p.223)

6.   Ongoing Research Project on Coal-based Thermally Stable Jet

     Fuels/Unknown Institution -- $3 million (p. 235)

7.   National Medical Testbed Project/Loma Linda University --

     $unspecified (p. 246)

8.   Automated Welding/Oregon Graduate Institute -- $2 million

     (p. 251)

9.   Georgia Tech Center for International Defense Conversion

        Georgia Institute of Technology -- $0.4 million (p.284)

10.  Monterey Institute of International Studies/University of

     Monterey -- $5 million (p. 284)

11.  San Diego State University Conversion Center/San Diego State

     University -- $10 million (p.284)

12.  Southeast Regional College Network Florida -- $2.5 million

     (p. 284)

13.  Georgia Tech Plasma Arc Remediation/Georgia Institute of

     Technology -- $4 million (p. 285)