Interesting People mailing list archives

some snips from edupage

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 1994 04:43:01 -0400

REENGINEERING -- OR JUST DOWNSIZING?
        "People tend to call anything that moves 'reengineering'" -- says
the president of CSC Index of Cambridge, Mass. (the company that helped
start the fashion for corporate reengineering). A new CSC study finds that
many companies say they're doing re-engineering when all they're doing is
downsizing. (Wall Street Journal 6/30/94 A1)

ELECTRIC PROSE AND POETRY
        Two views of writing on the net:  "It is my overwhelming belief
that e-mail and computer conferencing is teaching an entire generation
about the flexibility and utility of prose" -- says S.F. Chronicle
columnist Jon Carroll. Compare: "In the real world it takes a hell of a lot
of work to get published, which naturally weeds out a lot of the garbage.
On the net, just a few keystrokes sends your writing out to thousands of
readers" -- says poet Mary Anne Mohanraj. (Time 7/4/94 p.66)

CYBERTALK
        When Vice President Gore participated last January in an online
conference held over CompuServe, 900 people "showed up," 300 of them got
the moderator's attention, and 10 of them got to match their typing skills
against the Vice President's. We think he won; he's pretty fast. (U.S. News
& World Report 7/4/94 p.70)