Interesting People mailing list archives

SILICON GRAPHICS ANNOUNCES DEPARTURE OF FOUNDER AND CHAIRMAN JIM CLARK [ I have a more complete anno

From: David Farber <>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 1994 17:09:47 -0500

 SILICON GRAPHICS ANNOUNCES DEPARTURE OF
 FOUNDER AND CHAIRMAN JIM CLARK

 MOUNTAIN VIEW, California (January 27, 1994) -- Silicon Graphics,
 Inc. (NYSE: SGI) announced today that its chairman and founder Dr.
 James H. Clark has stated his intention to resign his position with the
 company effective February 28.  Dr. Clark, who founded Silicon
 Graphics in 1982, made the decision in order to pursue applications
 software opportunities in the emerging interactive broadband network
 and television market.

 "I am leaving at this time because I believe there are major
 entrepreneurial opportunities in applications software for interactive
 television, and I want to explore these opportunities.  I'm confident that
 the management team currently in place will continue to take Silicon
 Graphics forward as one of the world's leading computer vendors," said
 Dr. Clark.  "I'm also certain that Silicon Graphics will be one of the key
 suppliers of computing technology for the interactive television market.
 I intend to build my future venture around Silicon Graphics systems, so
 my new pursuits will be highly synergistic with Silicon Graphics'
 business."

 "Since he first began researching his idea for a chip that would
 accelerate a computer's ability to display 3D graphics, Jim has dedicated
 fifteen years of his life to Silicon Graphics, providing the vision that
 has challenged us to become one of the world's fastest growing companies,"
 said Edward R. McCracken, president and CEO of Silicon Graphics.
 "His contributions here have been invaluable and long-lasting, and have
 helped bring the company into new markets such as interactive
 entertainment that are now a key part of our business.  We know that Jim
 will have many opportunities available to him and we wish him success
 as he chooses the next arena in which to make a contribution."

 Dr. Clark was an associate professor at Stanford University when he
 founded Silicon Graphics with six graduate students.  He has served as
 chairman of the company since its beginning.  Dr. Clark's leadership in
 the development of both graphics hardware and software has been
 instrumental in establishing Silicon Graphics as the leader in visual
 computing systems.  In recent years, Dr. Clark began exploring
 opportunities for Silicon Graphics' technology in the consumer
 electronics field, playing a key role in the company's partnerships
 announced last year with video games leader Nintendo Corporation for
 its next-generation video game system, and with Time-Warner Cable for
 the creation of its Full Service Network in Orlando.

 Silicon Graphics, Inc. is the leading manufacturer of high-performance
 visual computing systems.  The company delivers interactive three-
 dimensional graphics, digital media and multiprocessing
 supercomputing technologies to technical, scientific and creative
 professionals.  Its subsidiary, MIPS Technologies, Inc., designs and
 licenses the industry's leading RISC processor technology for the
 computer systems and embedded control markets.  Silicon Graphics has
 offices worldwide and headquarters in Mountain View, California.

 Silicon Graphics and the Silicon Graphics logo are registered
 trademarks of Silicon Graphics, Inc.  MIPS is a registered trademark of
 MIPS Technologies, Inc.