Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: NSA'S TESSERA PLAN (NYT/MARKOFF)

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 1994 15:15:16 -0500

On Jan. 12, National Semiconductor announced the iPower PCMCIA card which
is designed to implement Skipjack as well as RSA, DES, or toher
encryption algorithms in secure hardware. The card is designed to FIPS
140-1 and I am told it complies with the Tessera spec altough who can be
sure, the specification being classified. At any rate, NSI is certainly
bidding for the Tessera contract. I don't know who the other bidders
might be.

--
Steve Wildstrom   Business Week Washington Bureau  wild () access digex net
    "These opinions aren't necessarily mine or anyone else's."