Interesting People mailing list archives

Call for Action on Australia's Data Highways From ACS (for information .. djf)

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 1994 16:12:58 -0500

From: tomw () ccadfa cc adfa oz au (Tom Worthington)
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 1994 13:27:49 GMT

Australian Computer Society members have had a central role in the
creation of Australia's data networks. Many of you have joined me in
ACS activities over the Internet network. I ask members to put that
experience to work for the benefit of the Australian community. Help
connect your neighbours, your community group, your school, company or
government department.

In June last year the ACS wrote to the Prime Minister of Australia,
urging the Government to join our American friends on the electronic
frontier.  The Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet is now
considering this issue, in it's latest IT Strategic Plan.

During 1994 the ACS will contribute its expertise to create a national
system linking IT professionals. They will be encouraged to transfer
this knowledge to their clients, companies and government agencies.

The ACS Canberra Branch established a pilot system in 1993 to provide
limited network service free, to members. From 1 March 1994 ACS
Canberra will provide a full Internet service for a small fee.

IT professionals will be asked to showcase Australian products and
services, using the global data networks. Members will be encouraged
to also use the network to support local cultural and community
groups.

Almost one hundred years ago Australia's founders created a new
nation. It was formed from a common heritage and in part, united by
the communications technology of its day.

As we approach the year 2001 a new technology is emerging from
Australia's universities and research laborites. Just as the telegraph
made it possible for Australians in 1901 to receive news across the
content, "data highways" will allow all Australians to communicate
across the world.

As trailblazers on the new electronic frontier, let us dedicate this
task to Australia's early pioneers. The goal is that all Australians
will have access to the public data network, by the dawn of the new
millennia at the centenary of Australia's federation.

Tom Worthington <tomw () adfa oz au>, Director of the Community Affairs Board