Interesting People mailing list archives

safety and security of mobile communication

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 1994 11:16:07 -0800

Date: Wed, 12 Jan 1994 17:32:40 +0100
From: Juergen Scheffran <df41 () rs11 hrz th-darmstadt de>

The Daimler-Benz Foundation is currently setting up a project on safety and
security in communications technology. The focus will lie on mobile
communication used in the health system. Three working groups of experts
selected from different disciplines have been set up. The first is developing a
technical demonstration project, the second is caring for the assessment
methodology, and the third is dealing with user demands and organizational
framework. The whole project is planned to run over a period of about two
years.
Contact:
                 Dr. Horst Nienstaedt
                 Gottlieb Daimler-und Karl Benz-Stiftung,
                 Dr.-Carl-Benz-Platz 2, 68526 Ladenburg, Germany,
                 Tel. *49-6203-15924, Fax: *49-6203-16624

I am participant to working group 2 and consider to contribute in two ways.
Firstly I plan to work out a value tree which covers all safety and security
aspects and puts them in perspective.
Secondly I will focus on the military and terroristic dangers of mobile
communication in combination with navigating systems like the global
positioning system (GPS). The broad question is what interrelations there are
between civilian and military developments and applications of mobile
communication. Another aspect is the feasibility to use such a system to
locate a mobile user as target of an attack or to use it to direct a weapon to
a fixed target.
Could you provide me with any relevant information on these questions?
Did you work about one of these topics or can you recommend literature or
contact persons?
Contact:
            Martin Kalinowski, IANUS, c/o Institut fuer Kernphysik
                Schlossgartenstr. 9, 64289 Darmstadt, Germany
                Tel.: +49-6151-163016   FAX: +49-6151-164321
                Internet:  KALINOWSKI () HRZPUB TH-DARMSTADT DE