Interesting People mailing list archives

The "Cobbler's Children" Phenomenon

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 1994 08:09:16 -0800

Date: Fri, 7 Jan 1994 11:37:16 -0700 (MST)
From: The future Ross Stapleton-Gray <STAPLETON () bpa arizona edu>

Bill Drake notes the "cobbler's children having no shoes" phenomenon;
when I first had Mike Nelson speak to a working group I chaired, he
talked about how he plinked out all of the original NREN legislation on
an abyssmal Senate ADP system...

We all have to keep in mind, though, that the NII isn't just the
Internet, and that, despite its growth, the majority of Americans
don't yet use the Internet (and, by the time they do, it won't be the
same anymore).   Hey, perhaps it's time to recoin that old FORTRAN quote:
"I don't know what network people will use to communicate in the year 2000,
but it will be called the Internet..."

Ross