Interesting People mailing list archives

Sprint Response to MCI Announcements -- packaging winners

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 1994 08:08:39 -0800

Date: Tue, 11 Jan 94 11:14:53 -0500
From: rick () uunet uu net (Rick Adams)

         STATEMENT FROM WILLIAM T. ESREY, SPRINT CHAIRMAN & CEO

       "Sprint is not at all surprised by MCI's network catch-up
   announcement.  More than a year ago, Sprint announced its
   broadband network plans to deploy SONET and ATM.  We were the
   first to offer commercial ATM service in August 1993.  We continue
   to have the most modern network and remain as the only
   100 percent digital, fiber-optic long distance carrier.

       "MCI is very good at packaging announcements that make
   mountains out of molehills.   Sprint hopes the public will take
   this latest ploy for what it is -- a slick admission of being
   behind in terms of technology deployment.

Funny, we bought our commercial ATM service from Metropolitan Fiber Systems
long before August 1993.

It seems Sprint is also good at packaging announcements...