Interesting People mailing list archives

BA response to Gore

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 1994 08:07:47 -0800

Posted-Date: Tue, 11 Jan 1994 18:10:06 -0500
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 1994 18:01:51 -0500 (EST)
From: Eric Rabe <rabe () ba com>
Subject: Gore Speech
To: com-priv () psi com

Vice President Al Gore's speech that hev delivered today is
available by anonymous FTP at BA.COM.  The speech is located in a
directory named: <VP_Speech-1.11.94>, which is in the <pub>
directory.  The directory also includes background papers and the
news release.  The following is Bell Atlantic's response.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE            CONTACT:
January 11, 1994                 Shannon Fioravanti
                                 703-974-5455
                                 Eric Rabe
                                 703-974-3036
                                 <rabe () ba com>

    RESPONSE STATEMENT TO VICE PRESIDENT GORE'S SPEECH
  ON THE ADMINISTRATION'S TELECOMMUNICATIONS INITIATIVES
     The following statement is to be attributed to James
G. Cullen, President, Bell Atlantic Corp:

     "Bell Atlantic applauds Vice President Gore's
continued leadership as we work together to build the
information superhighway and to make it available to all
Americans.  We welcome his invitation to provide input as
the Clinton administration introduces its upcoming
legislation, and we will continue to be active in that
process.

     Last month, Vice President Gore called upon those
companies paving the information superhighway to make
sure that schools are granted easy and affordable access
to this new network.  Bell Atlantic and TCI announced
yesterday that we will provide free connections to
K-12 classrooms in our service areas.  This is just one
example of the benefits telecommunications service
providers can offer.  We believe the possibilities are
virtually limitless in an open market where all can
compete fairly.

     As Bell Atlantic continues to develop innovative new
ways to bring the information superhighway to schools,
homes and businesses, we trust the administration will
form policy that will allow us to meet the challenge
effectively. We are heartened by the Vice President's
recognition of the need for new regulatory mechanisms,
incentives to telecommunications companies for growth and
investment, the elimination of duplicative regulation,
and the support of some immediate relief in long
distance.

     As our local markets are opened to competition,
companies like Bell Atlantic should be permitted to
provide long distance service.  The market is ready for
full competition now -- not ten years from now.

                        ####

Eric Rabe
Bell Atlantic                           |   Internet:   rabe () ba com