Interesting People mailing list archives

Bruce Sterling, Hacker Crackdown, Texinfo

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 1994 17:50:07 -0500

The subject line says it all. The README is appended below.
Get the book via anon. FTP from:

        server: ftp.Germany.EU.net
        folder: /pub/books/sterling/crackdown

Happy hacking!          -joke

-- crackdown/$Id: README,v 1.1 1994/01/30 13:34:48 joke Rel $

          Welcome to the Texinfo edition of:

                    THE HACKER CRACKDOWN
                Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier
                    by Bruce Sterling
                   bruces () well sf ca us

          Literary Freeware:  Not for Commercial Use

                                #

   This version of the book is reproduced by kind permisson of *Bruce Sterling*
in the GNU Texinfo format, i.e., a TeX macro package developed at the *Free
Software Foundation* that allows for easy "online manual" creation, while
being convertible into a variety of different other formats.

This "convertability scheme" has been extended in this project to the use
of various PostScript typefaces. What does this mean for you? Well, you can
print this book in any PS font you like, provided you have a certain
set of freely available tools installed on your system.

These tools are: TeX 3.14 and dvips(1) 5.516. That's all folks!
(Hmmm, at least if you work on a unixoid system, that has a C-shell installed,
in worst case you'll, have to read the "configure" script, and follow the steps
by hand :-(

That's why this distribution comes with some pre-generated versions, that
should suit most needs, and for the *hackers* there's the "print-it-yourself"
kit:

            |-README                   this file
            |-CONTENTS                 contents of the Hacker Crackdown
            |-crackdown-1.0-US.dvi.gz  TeX DVI, US letter size
            |-crackdown-1.0-US.ps.gz   Computer Modern PostScript, US letter
            |-crackdown-1.0.dvi.gz     TeX DVI, A4 metric paper
|-crackdown-|-crackdown-1.0.ps.gz      Computer Modern PostScript, A4 paper
            |-crackdown-1.0.info.gz    GNU Info format
            |-crackdown-1.0.tar.gz     the "print-it-yourself" kit
            |-crackdown-1.0.txt.gz     formatted ASCII

                                #

   Anyway, in the best case, you unpack the "print-it-yourself kit", type
in something like:

        example% configure --a4 --font palatino
        example% make ps

To get the book on A4 (metric) paper, in the Palatino typeface. And print out
the resulting PostScript file on your PostScript printer. For Computer Modern
type fonts, i.e., the standard TeX fonts just don't use the "--font" option:

        example% configure --a4
        example% make

This is especially useful, if you don't want (or can't) use the PostScript
option, but want to get a TeX DVI file only, to print this.

As for the PostScript option: included are "times" = Times Roman, "palatino"
= Palatino, "bookman" = Bookman, and "newcentury" = New Centry Schoolbook
font files. But from the files in the "fonts" dir it's really straight
formward to add support for others.)

                                #

   Hackers (or other curious folks) should look into the "fonts" directory
and examine "texinfo.foo", in conjunction with a peek into "configure", to
see what's going on here. But anayway, all this is IMHO very easy to grasp.
It should also be easy to add *any* available PostScript font.

                                #

Enjoy!

        -joke

In article <2ijh07$okq () fbi-news informatik uni-dortmund de>
heitkoet () home informatik uni-dortmund de (Joerg Heitkoetter) writes:
The subject line says it all. The README is appended below.
Get the book via anon. FTP from:

      server: ftp.Germany.EU.net
       folder: /pub/books/sterling/crackdown

I checked, and I couldn't get access to the files (rwx permissions for other
were turned off).  I was able to download it from mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu
(128.174.201.1, Project Gutenberg) in the directory /pub/etext/etext94.  The
files are hack11.txt and hack11a.txt.  There may be a postscript version lying
around on mrcnext, but I didn't check.

--
Wilbur Kuo                  | kuo_wy () sunset bph jhu edu | "I only say what it
"It's good to be the root"  | root () sunset bph jhu edu   |  occurs to me to say.
GS/CS/MU -d+@ p c++(++++) !l() u+(++) e+ m++ s n-(---) h f+ g+ w- t+() r- !y