Interesting People mailing list archives

An interesting series

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 1994 19:35:43 -0500

Posted-Date: Sat, 29 Jan 1994 06:09:35 -0500
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 1994 06:09:42 -0500
From: farber () central cis upenn edu (David Farber)
Subject: from a mailing I received.

[perhaps one can blame this on the initiation ceremony called tenure where
the budding academic scientist is taught that publishing by themselves (not
with the students who did the work) is the path to success. Perhaps if we
make this part of their career more humane they would end up with a better
attitude .. djf]

In the January 17 issue of Newsweek this article entitled "Nice
Scientists Finish Last" by Robbin Sparkman appeared.  The title
summarized psychologist Gregory Feist's Ph.D. dissertation conclusion.
Feist evaluated 99 full professors of science at California research
universities.  His study consisted of devising a working definition of
success and identifying common personality traits of his subject by
using research assistants to evaluate audiotaped interviews and rate
the tapes for hostility, loquaciousness and serenity.  While the
eminent professors published more and their work cited more than less
renowned colleagues, they were more unfriendly, exploitative of others
and arrogant. Feist hopes that research into the psychology of
scientists may help educators pinpoint basic personality traits that
can be nurtured in aspiring researchers.  It is unfortunate that
antisocial behavior and sour personalities are put together with
successful scientist.

Posted-Date: Sat, 29 Jan 1994 19:28:46 -0500
"While the eminent professors published more and their work cited more than less
renowned colleagues, they were more unfriendly, exploitative of othersand
arrogant.

"Feist hopes that research into the psychology of
scientists may help educators pinpoint basic personality traits that
can be nurtured in aspiring researchers.  It is unfortunate that
antisocial behavior and sour personalities are put together with
successful scientist."
------------------------
Dave:

A different view of what is happening:

I like to think that it not a first order effect of how good the scientist is.
Rather it is secondary effect of the moral corruption caused by a perceived
necessity by those in a weak power position to have to kiss the ass of those who
have a monopoly in handing out goodies.

This is an all too common phenomenon seen in those whose good will is necessary
to the supplicants survival.

For example of a non-academic situation of this sort of behavior is sometimes
found in purchasing agents.  Salesmen will tend to laugh at their jokes whether
funny or not.  The purchasing agent will be treated with far more respect than
deserved.  After a while he thinks of himself as being very clever and
infalible.  That poor soul is no longer receiving the normal feedback signals
from others we need to keep us in line when our behavior starts to move out of
bounds. And, another jerk is created.

I have seen this phenomenon in ex-company presidents,  physicians, venture
capitalists, breaucrats, clerks or anyone that formerly made decisions as to who
gets what, etc.

Observe people exiting a position of power.  Look at them after they are removed
from their position of power and can no longer hand out goodies.  Then they tend
to be immediately treated like the rest of us.  This change in behavior often
comes as a debilitating shock, and maifests itself in a great reduction of self
worth.

The successful researcher is usually in position of power.  Graduate students
and assistant professors have no choice but to retain the good graces of these
power points.  As a result many fine people get corrupted into becoming real
pricks without appreciating that it is happening to them.  Yes, power does
corrupt.

Paul