Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Dorothy Denning answers Campaign and Petition Against Clipper

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 1994 17:32:18 -0500

Date: Thu, 10 Feb 1994 14:16:47 -0800 (PST)
From: "Brock N. Meeks" <brock () well sf ca us>
To: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
cc: interesting-people mailing list <interesting-people () eff org>

I applaud Ms. Denning's well reasoned and extensive posting.  Her
arguments in favor of Clipper are valid ones.  The even-handed "tone" of
her remarks are a welcome foil to some of the more emotional postings on
this issue, particularly my own.

There are no doubt, serious issues to be dealt with in the context of
national security and encryption and digital telephony.  I'm glad it's
Mike Nelson's neck on the line here and not mine.  I can shoot from the
hip, so to speak, where he and supporters like Ms. Denning must show
restraint.  It's a tough job.

I still believe the system is open for abuse, despite the more rigorous
standards and safeguards.  It's a debate that will continue and one
I'm not sure has a "good answer" for anyone.  I'm reminded of what former
FCC Chmn. Jim Quello said when he released the Commission's spectrum
reallocation findings: "I think with this ruling we've succeeded in making
everyone equally unhappy."

Brock Meeks
reporter
Communications Daily