Interesting People mailing list archives

Speech Code at Dalhousie U. (Canada) [I know I may regret sending this out in mail received but I be

From: David Farber <>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 1994 11:25:21 -0500

From: kadie () cs uiuc edu (Carl M Kadie)
Subject:  [Parker-L] Speech Code at Dalhousie U. (Canada)
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 1994 23:11:26 GMT

[Copyright 1994 by Parker Barss Donham.  All rights reserved.
Posted with permission.

Parker Barass Donham writes a column on free speech issues in the
Halifax (Nova Scotia, Canada) Daily News. His columns (and a
discussion) are also available via email. To subscribe, send a message
to listserv () nstn ns ca with the usual line:
 subscribe Parker-L <YOUR FULL NAME>

- Carl]

Parker Barss Donham's column                     20 February 1994
     I don't have a daughter at Dalhousie, but if I did, I'd be
darned sore at the University Senate for assuming she needed
special protection from the rigors of free speech.

     That's the condescending message hidden in last week's vote
to establish a code against discriminatory harassment at Dal.
The senate thinks women, blacks, natives, and gays are no match
for the sexists, bigots, and knaves they'll encounter in life.

     But that's not what Nichet Smith thought when she came upon
a racist flyer at Arizona State University, where she was a
third-year student in justice studies.  Smith and three friends,
all of them black women, were visiting a campus residence when
they noticed a mock application for minority job seekers tacked
to an apartment door.

     The flyer's hateful, racist stereotypes filled the women
with anger and hurt.  What they did _ and did not do _ is
instructive.  Nat Hentoff recounts the story in his book, (BOLD)
Free Speech for Me _ But Not For Thee, (ROMAN) a survey of the
movement to impose political orthodoxy on U.S. campuses.