Interesting People mailing list archives

BILL GATES INUNDATED IN BOX

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 1994 04:27:48 -0500

From Risks

"And NOW, from the 21 Feb 1994 issue of BusinessWeek:

BILL GATES INUNDATED IN BOX

A personality profile in _The New Yorker_ magazine's Jan. 10 issue revealed
Bill Gates's electronic-mail address -- and his electronic in box hasn't been
the same since.  "I've got 5,000 messages stacked up," says Gates, CEO of the
Redmond (Wash.) giant, Microsoft.  That's up from no more than 10 e-mail
messages daily before from the outside (although he may receive as many as 250
per day internally).

Until the article ran, the software billionaire was never too busy to read --
and often respond to -- messages sent from around the world via the Internet
data highway.  Gates chats with outsiders on items that include technology and
business opportunities.  In his email -ure of the Information Superhighway and
his analysis of F. Scott Fitzgerald's _The Great Gatsby_.  [This article has
been taken verbatim from the magazine.  I assume that last sentence is a
misprint?]

Now, though, he has been forced to use a software program that sifts through
the deluge to identify items from important people such as Intel CEO Andrew
Grove.  But what about the thousands of notes from who-knows-who that continue
to stream in and sit in computer memory, ungraced by Bill's attention?  Gates
has never had anyone else read his electronic mail for him, "but I'm seriously
considering it now."

..End of article.

If I remember correctly, that address is "billg () microsoft com"..."

Maybe he needs to be on interesting_people :-)