Interesting People mailing list archives

Fwd: Press Advisory on NSA/NIST review of security products

From: David J Farber <farber () radiomail net>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 1994 14:59:13 PST

From: Mitch Ratcliffe <godsdog () netcom com>

On Friday, Feb. 4, 3:00 PM, administration officials will report on a
review of federal policies and procedures for encryption and
telecommunications security-related issues. The press conference will be
held in Room 4830 at the Department of Commerce, 14th St. and
Constitution Ave., N.W. in Washington, DC.

In the press advisory I received today, on NIST letterhead, though it was
faxed to me by the NSA, the subject matter to be covered includes:

        * Analysis of export controls on products which encrypt data and
          communications
        * A Clinton Administration telecom security initiative "announced
          last April to help U.S. businesses to compete, assist law
          enforcement agencies, and protect U.S. citizens' privacy."

Considering the late hour on Friday and the fact that the press
conference was not announced until less than 24 hours before it is
scheduled, we should probably expect the worst possible news. For more
information, call Mat Heyman at NIST: 301.975.2758.