Interesting People mailing list archives

Frontier Justice. Wonder when they will blacklist people they

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 1994 09:52:32 -0500

From: boldt () emile math ucsb edu (Axel Boldt)
Newsgroups:
alt.internet.services,alt.culture.internet,alt.culture.usenet,biz.misc,comp.mai
l.misc,news.admin.policy
Subject: The Internet Advertiser's Blacklist
Date: 13 Dec 1994 19:12:11 GMT
alt.culture.usenet:5473 biz.misc:8923 comp.mail.misc:16176
news.admin.policy:18665

                     THE INTERNET ADVERTISER'S BLACKLIST

    * 1. What is this?
    * 2. Who gets included?
    * 3. What is the philosophy behind it?
    * 4. What can I do with it?
    * 5. What if I wanted to punish YOU?
    * 6. What other blacklists are out there?
    * 7. How can I help?
    * 8. The Blacklist in itself.

1. What is this?

  This is the Internet Advertiser's Blacklist. It is intended to curb
  inappropriate advertising on usenet newsgroups and via junk e-mail. It
  works by describing offenders and their offensive behavior, expecting
  that people who read it will punish the offenders in one way or
  another.

  The list is posted regularly to several newsgroups and the most recent
  version is always available over the WWW as
  http://math-www.uni-paderborn.de/~axel/blacklist.html.

2. Who gets included?

  Everyone who is pointed out to me for sending out unsolicited
  commercial e-mail or posting inappropriate commercials to usenet
  newsgroups. The word "inappropriate" in the last sentence is defined
  by me on a case by case basis and depends mainly on the number of
  complaints I receive.

3. What is the philosophy behind it?

  In a nutshell: the Internet is probably as close to an anarchy as we
  can get. This is good. Therefore, punishing of unwelcome behavior
  should be done following the same grass roots philosophy that governs
  the rest of the net. Read more about it in
  http://math-www.uni-paderborn.de/~axel/blacklist_philosophy.html.

4. What can I do with it?

  If you judge that one of the described behaviors is worthy of
  punishment, you could for example do one of the following. (Note that
  some of these might be illegal in some jurisdictions. Check the books
  first and don't blame me.)
    * Boycott the advertising business.
    * Send them or their sysadmins a message informing them that you
      disapprove of their behavior.
    * Put them in you kill file. (Read all about rn and trn kill files
      in
      http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/killfile-faq/
      faq.html.)
    * Filter them out of your mailbox. (If you read mail on a unix host,
      you might want to use the program procmail for that, which can be
      gotten via anonymous ftp from syd.dit.csiro.au as
      /pub/ken/procmail-3.03.tar.gz. Another possibility is filter,
      which comes with the mail reader elm.)
    * Use procmail and an AI engine like emacs doctor to engage them in
      a fake mail dialog.
    * If you are a system operator, you could stop forwarding mail or
      news originating from them.
    * If you operate a cancelbot, you could automatically cancel all
      postings originating from them.
    * Say individuals A and B are on the list. You can send an e-mail
      message to B with fake From-header A saying "I'm interested in
      your product/service." In this fashion, the advertisers will start
      to bug each other, end up on each others mailing lists and waste
      time and money.

5. What if I wanted to punish YOU?

  Well, in principle you could use the measures from question 4 (except
  the first and last one) or you could even start a blacklist of
  blacklist maintainers. But why would you want to do such an evil thing
  to me, your humble servant?

6. What other blacklists are out there?

  I'm aware of one blacklist operated by Pierre Beyssac
  <pb () fasterix frmug fr net> which tries to keep the french usenet
  hierarchy fr clean of commercials and is posted regularly to the
  groups fr.news.reponses, fr.news.divers and fr.biz.d.

7. How can I help?

    * If you encounter an instance of offensive advertising on the
      internet, tell me about it. My e-mail address is
      boldt () math ucsb edu; please use the word "Blacklist" somewhere
      in the subject line. Make sure to check the last version of the
      list first so that I won't get multiple complaints about
      incidents already covered! The newest version is always available
      over the WWW as
      http://math-www.uni-paderborn.de/~axel/blacklist.html.
    * Feel free to contact me if you find that any information in this
      document is inaccurate.
    * Please start your own blacklist and tell me about it. I will
      include a pointer to it here.
    * Let me know about any creative suggestions for the answer to
      question 4.
    * Don't let anyone know about any creative suggestions for the
      answer to question 5.
    * Distribute this list widely.
    * If you know where to find a copy of the original C&S greencard
      posting, please tell me.

                        8. THE BLACKLIST IN ITSELF

  I have formatted it in such a way to make automatic processing easy.
  Every entry can contain some or all off the fields ID, Name, Address,
  Phone, Email, WWW, Entered, Changed, Behavior, Remarks in this order.
  A line starting with whitespace is a continuation of the preceding
  line. Several Names, e-mail or WWW addresses etc. are separated by
  commas and optional whitespace. Blank lines separate the entries.
  Every entry has a unique ID so that your program can decide if it has
  processed that entry before when a new list arrives. Furthermore, the
  original offensive article is accessible as
  http://math-www.uni-paderborn.de/~axel/BL/<ID>.txt where the true ID
  is to be substituted for <ID>.

===Blacklist start===

ID:       CS941211
Name:     L. Canter, M. Siegel
Address:  3333 East Camelback Road, Suite 250, Phoenix, AZ 85260, USA
         Cybersell, P.O.Box 13510, Scottsdale, AZ 85267, USA
Phone:    (602) 661-3911
Email:    lcanter () cyber sell com, msiegel () cyber sell com,
         market () cyber sell com
WWW:      http://cyber.sell.com/
Entered:  1994/12/11
Behavior: The famous greencard lawyers. In 1994, they repeatedly sent
         out a message offering their services in helping to enter
         the US greencard lottery to almost all usenet newsgroups.
         (Note in passing: they charged $100 for their service, while
         participating in the greencard lottery is free and consists
         merely of sending a letter with your personal information at the
         right time to the right place.) When the incoming mail bombs
         forced their access provider to terminate their account,
         they threatened to sue him until he finally agreed to
         forward all responses to them.
         They have signed an agreement with their current access
         provider, PSI, to refrain from sending out junk e-mail or
         spamming usenet. The text is available over the net as
         http://www.psi.com/press/Canter-Siegal-6-23.html.
         They have since written a book, "How to Make a Fortune on
         the Information Superhighway" and founded an internet
         advertising company, Cybersell. The book promotes several
         advertising strategies on the internet including gathering
         addresses from usenet and sending out junk e-mail, posting
         commercials to inappropriate newsgroups like they did,
         advertising on irc and even via talk. They basically contend
         that all these behaviors are legal and therfore ok.
         They ridicule the terms "internet culture" and "netiquette"
         and claim that the internet, once all real-world laws are
         applied to it, will make a great source of income for
         attorneys.
         This book has inspired cancelbots and this list and has
         earned them a permanent first place on it.
Remarks:  Don't bug the poor guys at cybersell.com, they were the access
         providers for C&S during their first spam...:-)

ID:       PG941211
Name:     Peter Gordon, OneWorld OnLine NOOK
Address:  794 Fort Street, Box 38026, Victoria, BC, V8W 1H0, CANADA
         1275 Pembroke Street, Unit 1, Victoria, B.C. V8T 1J7, CANADA
Phone:    (604) 592-7953, (604) 385-3694
Email:    peter () nook com, peter () carver DataFlux BC CA,
         offer () nook com, info () nook com
Entered:  1994/12/11
Behavior: Sent out junk e-mail on 1994/12/11 posing as Santa Claus and
         offering forged e-mail as a X-mas gift for $5 apiece.
Remarks:  nook.com is connected via uucp to the internet host
         carver.DataFlux.BC.CA [134.87.177.20].

ID:       NM941211
Name:     Netmart Inc.
Email:    gls () netmart com, nminfo () netmart com
WWW:      http://netmart.com/
Entered:  1994/12/11
Behavior: Spammed several unrelated newsgroups on 1994/12/10 with a
         truly sad announcement of their WWW Mall.

===Blacklist end===

  Date: 1994/12/12 22:27:51 PST
  (C) 1994 by Axel Boldt <boldt () math ucsb edu>.
  Do with it what you want.
--
Axel Boldt * boldt () math ucsb edu * http://plato.uni-paderborn.de/~axel/