Interesting People mailing list archives

yikes! What has this technology wrought -- Internet Karaoke!!

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 1994 13:01:00 -0500

From: carl () radio com (Carl Malamud)

I'm writing for two purposes:

First, there is no truth to the rumor that sending mailbombs to
santa () north pole org will generate money for charity.  Check out
http://north.pole.org/ for the real story, but Santa has enough
messages to keep him and the Elves busy for quite a while.  Further
mailbombs may result in administrative actions such as Santa putting
your name on the "naughty" list.   You better watch out, etc., etc.

(Those of you who have had to administer sendmail can guess the sinking
feeling our poor elfmasters had when we typed "mailq" and received the
information that there were 42,150 unprocessed messages in the queue--
and that was *before* the real deluge started.)

Second, with the raging success of Internet-based charity campaigns
under on our belt (;-) we're ready to add yet another feature to the
North.Pole.Org holiday program.  On Wednesday, Dec. 23 at 8:30PM
Eastern time, the Internet Multicasting Service will present a live
multicast of the annual Handel's Messiagh sing-along from the Kennedy
Center for the Performing Arts.

The multicast will use audio and whiteboard.  The whiteboard will hold
the lyrics and we will even provide a red bouncing ball.  No gaurantee
that wb and vat will synchronize, but we figure the opportunity to try
a religious karaoke multicast is something that doesn't come along too
often.  All this is subject to our usual caveat on cheap stunts that
what might go wrong probably will.

Carl Malamud
Associate Elfmaster, Dept. of Spam
North.Pole.Org