Interesting People mailing list archives

African-Americans and the Information Revolutiona One-day Conference

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 1994 03:43:37 -0400

Date: Sun, 14 Aug 1994 23:59:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Arthur R. McGee" <amcgee () netcom com>

This may have been posted before, I'm not sure. My apologies if it has:

Are You Ready for the Revolution?!
----------------------------------

African-Americans and the Information Revolution
a One-day Conference

The Purpose:

America is at the beginnings of a revolution in telecommunications
that promises to fundamentally alter the way in which we do
business, the way in which we learn, the way in which we interact,
and the way in which we spend our leisure time.

But are you, is Black America, ready for the Revolution?

The facts would seem to suggest that the African-American community
is ill-prepared to take advantage of this revolution.  The call is
going out for the leadership, for the visionaries in the community
to assemble to discuss African-Americans, technology and the 21st
century.

When:

September 14th, 1994, The First Day of the Congressional Black
Caucus Legislative Weekend

Who Should attend:

Industry executives, foundation executives, government officials,
minority business owners, community and political activists,
educators and cultural leaders

Hosted by:

The Congressional Black Caucus Foundation and American Visions
magazine

To Register:

Call 202-675-6736; or fax 202 547-3807

Tentative Agenda:

African Americans In the Computer Age
A One-Day Conference

Tentative Agenda

8:00-8:30 A.M.   Registration

8:30-8:45 A.M.   Welcome

                        Hon. Cardiss Collins, Chairwoman, CBCF

8:45-9:00 A.M.  Conference Charge

                        Quentin Lawson, Executive Director, CBCF
                        Timothy Jenkins, Publisher, American Visions

9:00-9:30               Opening Speaker
                        Presiding
                        Hon. Major Owens

                        Keynote Address
                        Vice President Al Gore

9:30-12:00 P.M. Concurrent Workshops

                        1. Broadcasting in the Information Age

                        Cable, Network Television, Radio
                        Computer Networks (Compuserve, Internet)
                        Telephone, Microwave, Satellite Dish

                        Representatives from the Cable, Radio
                        (National Broadcast Association)

                        Pat Phelps from Compuserve, Internet founder

                        2. Computer Literacy, Long Distance Learning,
                        Job Training for the New Workplace

                        Columbus Hartwell
                        IBM classroom

                        Mind Extension University,
                        Disney University
                        University of the Virgin Islands

                        Department of Labor, Personnel Managers
                        from the major corporations

                        3. Regulating the Information Highway Access,
                        Equity and Diversity

                        Andrew Blau
                        Benton Foundation

                        Jerry Burman
                        Electronic Frontier Foundation

12:00-1:30 P.M.
                        Luncheon**
                        Presiding

                        Hon. Eddie Berniece Johnson

                        Speaker

                        Assistant Secretary of Defense Emmett Page, Jr.

                        Dual purpose technology

                        Ron Brown, Department of Commerce and
                        the Information Highway

1:30-3:00
                        4. Content in the Information Age

                        Software developers who have Afrocentric
                        or Multicultural Products.

                        Procurement personnel at educational
                        institutions.

                        5. Community Development

                        6. Business Opportunity

                        Call Thomas Pyle

                        Lillian B. Handy, Chairwoman

                        Minority-Owned Business Technology
                        Transfer Consortium,

                        Glen Moore, Defense Information Agency

3:00-5:00 P.M.
                        CEO Roundtable
                        Where do we go from here?
                        Chair
                        General Short

                        CEO Panel

                        Mitchell Kapor, Apple Computer
                        A. T. & T.
                        Texas Instruments
                        MCI
                        Sony

5:00-5:15
                        Closing Summary
                        Gary Puckrein, American Visions
                        Linda Faye Williams,  CBCF, Research Director

5:15-6:30
                        Exhibits and Technology Review

6:30-8:00 P.M.
                        Reception**
                        Hon. Kwasi Mfume

*Learn how you can gain access to the billions of dollars that
federal agencies are spending on the information highway.

*Hear Vice President Albert Gore and Ron Brown speak on the
information highway and what it means for the African-American
community

*Interact with senior management at the leading technology
corporations...joint ventures...jobs

*Talk to nonprofit funding source about our community based
organizations can get grants to purchase new technology

*Get a first-hand preview of the new technology

*Meet with members of congress and senior government officials who
will listen to your thoughts on the new techology.

*Learn about the new business opportunites that the information
highway is creating.