Interesting People mailing list archives

Cybercaset '94

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 1994 15:14:33 -0400

Date: Sun, 24 Apr 1994 13:00:02 -0400
From: Carl Malamud <carl () radio com>

The Internet Multicasting Service is pleased to announce that we will
be producing a three-day live cybercast from Networld+Interop Las
Vegas.  This event will start on Tuesday, May 3, at 5:00 PM PST and will
continue with twelve hours per day of broadcasts on May 4 through May 6.

To subscribe to the announcements list for this event, send your e-mail
message to:

        hype-request () media org

The message should contain the following line:

        subscribe hype Your Name

Thus, if your name is John Doe, you would send a message to
hype-request () media org and put the following line in the body of the
message:

        subscribe hype John Doe

A few of the highlights of this Internet Showcase include:

        Sunergy *live* with John Gage, featuring live rock-and-roll
        by Tungsten Macaque and the fabulous Internet Truth Chair.

        Live shows featuring media personalities such as TechNation
        with public radio star Dr. Moira Gunn and Computer Chronicles
        with PBS host Stewart Cheifet

        RT-FM, Modern Rock Multicasting!

        Links between satellite and shortwave systems and the Internet,
        featuring Monitor Radio on the Internet, a one-hour daily
        news-magazine which will be multicast all year on the MBONE,
        the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's world report, and shows
        from Australia and other exotic locales.

        Live interviews over the Internet from our DC studios, including
        Ralph Nader and other suprise guests as well as a major
        announcement of a new French NII effort.

        Fabulous prizes including 6 free Interop tutorials, RT-FM
        t-shirts, and ORAudio tapes as part of our "Fabulous Hotlist
        Hunt."

        A local news staff featuring such Internet personalities
        as Jeff Schiller from MIT as our Internet Traffic Reporter,
        Paul Jones from Sunsite as our Webmaster, and Simon Hackett
        from Australia who will demonstrate how to tame home
        appliances using simple UDP packet transfers.

The cybercast will be based in the Conrad Ballroom of the Las Vegas
Hilton.  ARPA is furnishing 2 of their advanced technology "Enterprise
Rooms" as the Network Operating Center.  Sun Microsystems is furnishing
a dozen Sparcstations, MCI is running 6 T1 lines in which will connect
the show network to Alternet and BARRNet.  Cisco Systems is furnishing
a Cisco 7000 router, and numerous organizations have furnished pieces
of the infrastructure.  Complete sponsor lists for this volunteer
event will be posted on home pages, mail messages, and on-site.  Please
come see us if you are in Las Vegas for Networld+Interop.

The event will use a large number of Internet protocols to move
information out into the network.  The hype list referenced above is
one method, but there will also be a constantly updated WWW page,
Gopher servers, audio files accessible by FTP, and multicasts of audio,
video, and still images on the MBONE.  More details on each of these
protocols will be announced on the hype () media org list and will be
available by 5 PM Tuesday May 3 PDT as a WWW home page on www.media.org.

The purpose of all this noise is to highlight some of the things
that the Internet can do and to give us and our volunteers an
opportunity to learn what it means to be a full-time, multimedia,
multiprotocol presence on the Internet.  Not to mention one of
our constant goals: have a little fun in a toy-intensive environment.

Stay tuned for more information and thanks for listening!

Carl Malamud
Internet Multicasting Service