Interesting People mailing list archives

It is a shame that BBC got wedged , any one have ifluence over them .. djf.. Re: "The Nature of Spac

From: David Farber <>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 1994 06:26:03 -0400

From: Mark Handley <M.Handley () cs ucl ac uk>
To: Van Jacobson <van () ee lbl gov>
cc: rem-conf () es net
Subject: Re: "The Nature of Space and Time" by Stephen Hawking and Roger Penrose

Arrrrrrrgh!!!!  The greatest physicist since Newton giving live
lectures to the world from Cambridge would have been a milestone
event for the Mbone & the Internet!

That's what we thought too!

What's the problem?  Is it
something I can help fix?  Do you need equipment or is it one of
those foul smelling "political" things?

Unfortuantely it's out of our hands.  Chris Cheney of Cambridge decided that
since they couldn't get the professional video feed from the BBC, they
didn't want to do it.  I think their problem was that it might be so high
profile that if they couldn't do it exactly right, they didn't want to do it
at all.

There may be some political stuff behind the scenes, but we were told it was
entirely due to not being able to get the professional video feed (and yes
we did offer to drive to Cambridge immediately with as many cameras as they
could possibly want!).  All the various links were already set up, with the
exception of the feed out of the room.

Mark

Posted-Date: Fri, 22 Apr 1994 05:53:46 -0400