Interesting People mailing list archives

IITF taskforce

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1993 21:13:53 -0500

Posted-Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1993 14:55:37 -0700 (MST)
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1993 14:55:37 -0700 (MST)
From: The future Ross Stapleton-Gray <STAPLETON () bpa arizona edu>
To: com-priv () psi com
Cc: STAPLETON () bpa arizona edu
Subject: Membership in the IITF

Not only are all of the 43 members of the IITF task force federal
employees, they are employees of the Executive; both the FCC and the
Library of Congress are outside the Executive branch, and it's a measure
of their importance to the work of the Executive that they're involved.

For my part, I am not on the IITF representing CIA, but am representing
the Intelligence Community Management Staff, which assists the Director
of Central Intelligence (DCI) in addressing affairs of the whole of the
Intelligence Community.   (There are also folks from NSA on the IITF, and
to some extent I do look out for issues that ought to be of concern to CIA,
inasmuch as we'll be making use of the national information infrastructure
like every other federal agency--even we, I expect, will be increasing the
amount of information we disseminate to the public, and will need to
interact with academia and the public at large more openly.)

The IITF will indeed have an Advisory Council, and it would probably be a
good thing for the various groups supporting the ideas of a national
infrastructure to develop candidate members; the AC members will be
appointed by Ron Brown, who chairs the IITF.   Like the FNCAC includes some
representative members (there's a least one highschool teacher) both from
"outside the Beltway" AND outside of the lobbyist/industry community, it
would be good to get some bright and energetic thinkers (who wouldn't be
shy about expressing their opinions) on the council.

Read the Agenda that was so expeditiously posted to the nets (the press
briefing ran out of hardcopies, and the press got them before some of us
members!), and start thinking about what's useful, what's needed, or what's
missing.   In the grand scheme of things the IITF has to compete with the
budget, with Healthcare, with the National Performance Review (though to
some extent these things dovetail), and myriad other Executive and
legislative actions.   But it's under way...

Ross
stapleton () mis arizona edu