Interesting People mailing list archives

Commercial Internet Service in Japan a reality!

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1993 12:28:49 -0500

Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1993 00:55:27 +0900
From: "Robert E. Seastrom" <rs () intercon com>

After over a year of planning and work, commercial TCP/IP service in Japan is
at last available!  At approximately 20:00 JST (11:00 GMT) on 17 September
1993, this new era of global connectivity was ushered in with the turnup of
the first transpacific commercial Internet link.

InterCon International KK (IIKK) and AT&T Jens Corporation are strategic
partners in developing commercial Internet service in Japan and the Pacific
Rim.  We are pleased to announce our respective new services which offer IP
connectivity to any organization in Japan without regard to research or
educational affiliation, and without burdensome Appropriate Use Policies
(AUPs).  We at Jens and IIKK extend our appreciation to our US partners:
AT&T (US), Performance Systems International, and InterCon Systems
Corporation for their help in making commercial TCP/IP service a reality in
Japan.

For more information on commercial Internet connectivity in Japan, send an
inquiry via electronic mail to iikk () nic inter net or attjens () nic inter net.