Interesting People mailing list archives

Re the Senate action and reearch. [ ntee Bill i Chair of the NRC CSTB

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1993 08:22:21 -0500

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 93 08:07:30 EDT
From: wulf () obelix cs virginia edu
To: farber () central cis upenn edu

Dave,

First, let's recall that the message in the Senate
Appropriation Report is not new news. Traditional
friends of science like George Brown in the House have
been sending the message for several years that its time
to tie more of the Nation's research expenditure to
national goals. In large measure I think the strident
tone of the Senate report is the research community's
own fault; some among us have chosen to polarize the
discussion -- or even to refuse to engage in a
discussion.

In my humble view this is not be a battle that needs to
be fought. The very rational view of the NSF Commission
is "right on"; basic research and applied research CAN
coexist -- indeed in many fields, applied research can
be the source of rich and intellectually stimulating
problems. The knee-jerk "basic good, applied bad" is
just dumb -- worse, in the present climate, its
counterproductive. It's damaging basic research funding!

That said, the report language is exceptionally
offensive on a number of fronts.

First, it simply underscores the increasing polarization
of the (non)discussion. I fault NSF and the Science
Board for dawdling on acting on the Commission report;
as the Senate report says, the Commission raised
expectations -- and expectations unfulfilled are a
dangerous thing. We (the community) need leadership from
the Foundation and Board, and we're not getting it.

Second, it is ironic that agencies like NASA and NIST
are held up as models of "entrepreneurial vigor".
Without detracting from them one iota, and with a firm
conviction that making them vigorous is a wonderful
goal, that description doesn't match what I see today.
There are bright spots and dim ones in all agencies, but
clearly the NSF story isn't being told well -- and maybe
the story for these other agencies is being a bit over-
told.

Third, it is incredibly ironic -- even tragic -- that
the HPCC budget is the one singled out to be held
hostage. The HPCC program is among the most
strategically, commercially and socially relevant at the
Foundation -- just what Congress says they want.
Moreover, another long-standing goal of Congress has
been increased inter-agency cooperation; HPCC has been a
model of that -- perhaps the most successful of the
FCCSET initiatives in that regard. The hard part of
these interagency cooperation's is getting one agency to
predicate success of its mission on the performance of
another agency. By cutting the NSF HPCC budget, the
Senate has undermined the confidence on which the
cooperation is based. If NSF cannot hold up its end, the
other agencies will have to 'go it alone'.

I sincerely hope that the cuts in the Senate
appropriation are reversed in the House-Senate
conference. But even more, I hope that this is finally
the event that triggers the research community to engage
in the dialog, and *constructively* shape a new relation
with society. For those of you that see this as a black-
and-white, basic science vs the troglodytes, you are
wrong, and by taking that position, you are making the
situation worse. Much worse.

In fact, there is a lot of understanding of, and respect
for science on the Hill; Mike Nelson likes to say that
it is everyone's second priority. That is not
incompatible with a desire to have some of the country's
best and brightest minds focused on strategic problems
-- including the problem of determining what are the
strategic priorities.

As in most things, this is a question of balance, and we
need to participate in finding the balance point. If we
choose not to participate, the balance point will still
be selected, but its likely to be further from where it
should be.

NSB, are you listening?

Bill Wulf