Interesting People mailing list archives

EFF's policy re: access to government information

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1993 20:51:49 -0500

Posted-Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1993 17:06:09 -0400
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1993 17:06:09 -0400
To: com-priv () psi com
From: ssteele () eff org (Shari Steele)
Subject: EFF's policy re: access to government information
Cc: eff-board () eff org, eff-staff () eff org

The discussion about organizational differences regarding the public's
right to access government information seems to have become distorted with
insults and accusations.  For the role that EFF has had in furthering this,
we apologize.  The squabbling, which we recognize as being as much personal
as political, distracts us all from the important policy issues we face.

EFF has always worked hard to ensure that Congress does not pass laws that
limit the public's ability to access government information, and we believe
that our track record proves our dedication to this issue.

        o  We lobbied for language in the new OMB A-130 Circular that gives
government an affirmative responsibility to disseminate public information.

        o  We worked to draft and seek passage of an Electronic Freedom of
Information Act and are working to get government agencies to comply with
electronic records requests under the current FOIA.

        o  We were part of a coalition that opposed a bill designed to give
government copyrights on information.

        o  We opposed the charging of fees on a government-run electronic
bulletin board system.

        o  We have worked to make sure that the bill reauthorizing the
Paperwork Reduction Act includes sections requiring the affirmative
dissemination of public information in electronic formats at the marginal
cost of dissemination.

        o  We made calls on behalf of passage of the GPO WINDO bill.

        o  We are working on a soon-to-be-released proposal for government
funding of agency dissemination projects as part of the National
Information Infrastructure (NII).  The proposal includes set-asides for
nonprofit organizations.

EFF will continue to fight for the passage of good laws that make
government information easily available to the public.  We undoubtedly will
not always see things the same as other organizations, or the same as our
funders or members, but we will always remain dedicated to advancing this
cause.  We are currently putting together a paper that explains EFF's
right-to-know policy.  This should help to articulate our stance on this
important issue.

Shari

Shari Steele
Director of Legal Services
Electronic Frontier Foundation
1001 G Street, NW
Suite 950 East
Washington, DC  20001
202/347-5400 (voice), 202/393-5509 (fax)
ssteele () eff org