Interesting People mailing list archives

WSJ reporter needs info on FBI technology (for the list)

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1993 14:54:15 -0800

Subject: WSJ reporter needs info on FBI technology (for the list)
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 93 22:50:08 -0600
From: "L. Detweiler" <ld231782 () longs lance colostate edu>

Hello, a friend of mine is a reporter for Wall St. Journal and is
researching an article on the technogical sophistication of both the
CIA and FBI and interviewing agents. (So far, he is not impressed!)
Anyway, many months ago some messages scrolled by on this list on the
subject, suggesting someone here is up on that. If you would like to
contribute to the article or perhaps even be quoted (no guarantees!),
please send me mail. In particular, the references to those past
articles alone would be invaluable. (Thanks for contributing the
literacy of real-world journalists!)

acc. to him:

Here's the best example of all: The FBI is computer illiterate, regardless
of what you see on TV. Talk to some agents off the record, or some ex-agents,
you'll see exactly what I mean.

The only reason I'm familiar with this is because I'm writing an article about
the CIA and the fact that they refuse to accept open sources, like Internet.