Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: some interestiing thoughts (please do not re-distribute to com-priv

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1993 19:30:14 -0400

re:

Idea 1. While I was thinking of the above,  I had an evil thought. How does
on fund the infrastructure in a reasonable way. The idea of a VAT tax
imposed on network services and goods seems like a way of creating a cash
flow that could be used to pay for research, entitlements etc. Just an
idea.

Just to avoid confusion, the VAT was to fund the lifeline services and
other services that in the telephone business were loaded onto other rates.
If one has a real open system , it may either end up with an "assigned
risk" to all providers or a VAT that gets used for such services -- a $
pool