Interesting People mailing list archives

EDUCATE NONPROFITS ABOUT "INFORMATION SUPERHIGHWAY" ISSUES

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1993 16:10:48 -0400

[ I am amused that the Pew trust with special "a special commitment to
Philadelphia" sponcered a DC firm to do this study .. oh well  djf]

CENTER FOR MEDIA EDUCATION
News Release
September 27, 1993

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ F O R  I M M E D I A T E  R E L E A S E ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

           CENTER FOR MEDIA EDUCATION AWARDED $300,000
                     TO EDUCATE NONPROFITS ABOUT
                  "INFORMATION SUPERHIGHWAY" ISSUES

Date:        September 27, 1993
Contact:   Jeffrey Chester
             Executive Director
             (202) 628-2620; internet cme () access digex net

WASHINGTON, DC--With major funding from the Pew Charitable Trusts, the
Center for Media Education (CME) has launched an unprecedented
initiative aimed at helping nonprofits make the critical transition into
the 21st Century Information Age.

"The ability to navigate the 'information superhighway' will be a life
or death matter for nonprofits," warned CME President Kathryn
Montgomery.  But while many groups are already taking advantage of
computer networks, satellites, and other new technologies, most
nonprofits are basically uninformed about the dramatic transformation of
our entire media system and its profound impact on their futures," she
explained.  "People may read in the paper about new 500 and 1000 channel
interactive TV systems, but they have no idea what the implications are
for what they do.  These developments will fundamentally alter how they
communicate with the public, interact with policy makers, offer
services, and raise money.  Those who don't adapt won't survive."

Starting this Fall, CME will publish a monthly newsletter on
telecommunications issues for the nonprofit community.  The publication
will provide concise and user-friendly analysis, informing readers of
new policy developments, and identifying ways that nonprofits could take
advantage of government-sponsored grants, pilot projects, and other
opportunities.

One of the goals of the CME initiative will be to encourage nonprofits
to become involved in critical policy issues affecting their future.
"We want to ensure that the nonprofit community is in a position to reap
the benefits of these technologies," said Jeff Chester, CME Executive
Director.  "This will only happen if nonprofits pay serious attention to
telecommunications policy."  Decisions are being made every day which
will affect the ability of nonprofits to participate in 21st Century
communications," explained Chester.  He noted, for example, that the
Federal Communications Commission is currently deciding whether to
create lower-cost "nonprofit rates" for organizations seeking to program
cable channels, or to charge them the same rates paid by large
commercial cable networks.

In addition to the monthly newsletter, the Center for Media Education
will produce a variety of informational materials, conduct workshops,
and develop policy proposals on behalf of nonprofits.  CME will also
create a strategic media campaign to stimulate broad debate about the
future of telecommunications and its impact on our democratic society.

ABOUT THE CENTER FOR MEDIA EDUCATION:

The Center for Media Education is a DC-based nonprofit organization
founded in 1991.  CME's mission is to promote the democratic potential
of the electronic media through public education, research, policy
analysis and outreach to the press.  In addition to the Information
Infrastructure Project, the CME's Campaign for Kids' TV works to improve
the quality of children's television and is the successor to Action for
Children's Television.

The Pew Charitable Trusts, a national and international philanthropy
with a special commitment to Philadelphia, supports nonprofit activities
in the areas of conservation and the environment, culture, education,
health and human services, public policy and religion.  Through their
grantmaking, the Trusts seek to encourage individual development and
personal achievement, cross-disciplinary problem solving and innovative,
practical approaches to meet the changing needs of society.

~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~
Please repost.
For more information, please contact our offices directly.

           C E N T E R  F O R  M E D I A  E D U C A T I O N
                       1511 K Street, NW, Suite 518
                          Washington, DC  20005
                           Tel:  (202) 628-2620
                           Fax:  (202) 628-2554
                      internet:  cme () access digex net

In order to receive regular copies of CME news releases and comments,
please send a note to cme () access digex net