Interesting People mailing list archives

the Internet and education .. or what to expect (I suspect the following is

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1993 17:13:48 -0400

As  friend of mine has a daughter who is in a project to establish foreign
penpals. She just used the internet to establish a contact with a Russian
student and was so happy to have such a penpal. Guess what the teacher
said..

Dave

Dave

My daughter has "connected."

But guess what?  TRUE STORY...  It is a sad example of how backward our schools
and teachers are...

She did this as part of a project where her teacher told them to go get pen
pals as a project.

When she told her teacher about what she was doing here, the teacher said. "Oh
that doesn't count, you have to send paper mail."

I am on the warpath!!!!