Interesting People mailing list archives

File 2--NEW State Dept FLASH on Moby Clipper (Grady Ward)

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1993 08:13:57 -0500

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 93 08:08:14 -0400
From: shap () viper cis upenn edu (Jonathan Shapiro)
\>Subject: File 2--NEW State Dept FLASH on Moby Clipper (Grady Ward)

For interesting people:

  I guess this means that all FTP sites who implement the GET command
  and have anything to do with crypto or viral detection, including
  RFCs, overviews or discussions of specific techniques or algorithms,
  etc. must be registered as International Arms Traffickers *even if*
  they disallow all but domestic FTP connections.

It occurs to me that requesting a judgement on whether something is
subject to munitions export controls did not have a price tag.
Perhaps we should arrange for every FTP site in the nation to
simultaneously ask for a ruling?

While we're at it, we should probably try to get them something like
the legal protections that apply to common carriers, since an operator
of such a public repository has no hope of restricting the content
effectively.

Jonathan