Interesting People mailing list archives

from the EFFector re Senator kennedy

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1993 12:02:12 -0400

**********************************
Senator Kennedy Offers Info Online
**********************************
from the office of
Senator Edward M. Kennedy

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                     CONTACT:   PAM HUGHES
SEPTEMBER 14, 1993                                   202/224-2633

SENATOR KENNEDY IS FIRST TO OFFER DIRECT ACCESS TO CONSTITUENTS THROUGH
COMPUTER OUTREACH

Sen. Edward M. Kennedy is the first member of the U.S. Congress to offer
constituents direct access to his speeches, press releases and Senate
statements through their personal computers.  In a pioneering experiment,
Kennedy began posting releases in May on computer bulletin boards for reading
by his Massachusetts constituents.

"Massachusetts citizens are among the most technologically sophisticated in
the nation," said Kennedy.  "By communicating directly with my constituents
in their homes, schools, and workplaces, I hope to make my day-to-day work
in Washington more accessible to the people of Massachusetts.  I invite
Massachusetts citizens to take advantage of this inno vation in electronic
democracy."

Kennedy's public statements are accessible on several computer bulletin
boards, as well as in two USENET news groups via the Internet.  The bulletin
boards provide a cost-effective way for voters to directly access information
from Sen. Kennedy on various policy issues.

Readers of the Kennedy releases may provide the Senator with immediate
feedback on the issues by commenting via computer.  While all comments will be
monitored, staff limitations will prohibit individual replies for the
foreseeable future.  Constituents are encouraged to contact Kennedy's
Boston or Washington office by mail when a reply is desired.

Response during the summer experiment has been so positive that Kennedy's
office has expanded its reach of bulletin boards and is actively alerting the
general public about the availability of the Kennedy postings.  Comments from
con stituents have included:

"I would like to thank you for making the effort to publish these press
releases on our bulletin board.  It is admirable that you are sincerely making
an effort to get your opinions out into the public arena..."

"I'm all for our elected reps getting 'with it'."

"I recommend that everyone check out the Sen. Kennedy press release
conference..."

Senator Kennedy, who chairs the Senate Committee on Labor and Human Resources,
will play a major role in the Senate's consideration of President Clinton's
comprehensive health care proposal.  The Labor Committee also has jurisdiction
over federal legislation involving jobs and education.  Constituents
interested in these and other policy matters can read his electronic
postings to obtain up-to-date information.

North Shore Mac, a free bulletin board run by Jonathan Gourd in Beverly,
Massachusetts, provides the home location for the "Sen. Kennedy Releases"
conference.  This board can be reached at 508/921-4716 and can be accessed
with standard telecommunications software, or in its graphical interface
via
Macintosh or Windows client software available for downloading on-line.
Visitors can sign-on with the User ID: visitor, Password: visitor.

On the Internet, releases can be found in the following USENET news groups:
ne.politics and talk.politics.misc

These releases are also available via anonymous FTP:
ftp ftp.ai.mit.edu, (login as) anonymous, cd incoming/Kennedy

Technical assistance and distribution to the Internet is provided as a public
service by the Intelligent Information Infrastructure Project, at the
Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.