Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: NII Vision Statement from CPSR

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1993 20:19:35 -0400

From: mcb () net bio net (Michael C. Berch)
To: com-priv () psi com
Subject: Re: NII Vision Statement from CPSR

     COMPUTER SCIENTISTS RAISE SOCIAL AND DESIGN CONCERNS
                     ABOUT THE INFORMATION HIGHWAY

Palo Alto, Calif., October 25, 1993
[...]
CPSR recommends that the Administration adopt the following policies:
[...]
o   Guarantee equitable and universal access through an appropriate
    mix of legislation, regulation, taxation, and direct subsidies.

This definitely the scariest thing *I've* read this week, even scarier
than the administration's NII paper itself.

Personally, I would forgo the opportunity for ever seeing another
government dime put into the Internet in exchange for keeping it as
free as possible of "legislation, regulation, taxation, and direct
subsidies".

Sigh.

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb () presto ig com / mcb () net bio net / mcb () postmodern com