Interesting People mailing list archives

This was sent to me from reliable sources but is UNAUTHENTICATED -- If you

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1993 04:30:19 -0500

Here's the full text of the memo from TCI Cable COO Barry Marshall to the
troops:

As we move into the regulatory environment, it's important to remember
something vital ... Under regulation, we can't simply adjust our economics
anymore. We have to take the revenue from the sources that we can, when we
can. To that end I want to remind each of you that the transaction charges for
upgrades, downgrades, customer-caused service calls, VCR hookups, etc. are
vital new revenue sources to us. We estimate that by charging for these
functions we can recover almost half of what we're losing from rate
adjustments.

We have to have discipline. Much like the install fee problem, we cannot be
dissuaded from the charges simply because customers object. It will take a
while but they'll get used to it...they pay it to other service providers all
the time..and it isn't free with the phone company!

Please hang in on this and installs, and we can still have a great fourth
quarter when we have out heaviest volume. The best news of all is, we can
blame it on reregulation and the government now. Let's take advantage of it!

My comment: there's nothing really outrageous here until you hit the last
paragraph. They're allowed to set certain charges under the Act and FCC
rules. Do you often not take a tax deduction you're entitled to under the IRS
rules?

But the tone anchored in the last graph is outrageous. Remember that New York
Times rule, kids. If you don't want to read about it on the front page, don't
put it in writing.