Interesting People mailing list archives

Gads! "My" FAQ is being threatened with a libel suit! -- growing up pains

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1993 20:35:56 -0500

From: teshima () uhunix3 uhcc Hawaii Edu (Lani Teshima-Miller)
Subject: Gads! "My" FAQ is being threatened with a libel suit!

I just got a call from the director of our system, who was contacted
by an attorney representing someone who was given a very negative
review by a contributor for the FAQ I compile (does this make sense)?

I took over the maintenance of the FAQ a few months ago, and have
lceaned it up considerably--including making sure all personal
opinions are attributable to a 'net person who sends the info to me.
But the person who USED to do this before did not. So basically, it
*sounds* like it's my opinion, eh?

What is the 'net wisdom about a situation like this? The director has
already told me that, in essence, it might be better if he DOES sue,
so that the institution can say "hey--we're not responsible for what
our account holders say over the 'net." But I really don't want to
deal with being sued--bleaugh! Anyone have any wise thoughts or
suggestions?
--
Lani Teshima-Miller (teshima () uhunix uhcc Hawaii edu) "Sea Hare"  o/ /_/_/
UH School of Library & Info Studies. "Whatever the cost of our   o|<0_0>------*