Interesting People mailing list archives

Systems Integration -- a query [ please cc me on any replies .. djf]

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1993 07:24:17 -0500

Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1993 12:15:25 GMT
To: farber () central cis upenn edu
From: Brian.Randell () newcastle ac uk
Subject: Systems Integration

Dave:

I'm pursuing the idea of taking the topic "Systems Integration" as (perhaps
part of) the focus for our 27th Annual Newcastle International Seminar on
the Teaching of Computing Science at University Level.

A lot of companies, from IBM downwards (I do not identify the axis of
motion I have in mind :-) are now claiming to be doing Systems Integration
(rather than just build hardware or software). However, as far as I can
tell this mainly involves ensuring (i) that they have staff that between
them are expert on all the various types of strange, and perhaps "legacy"
(there's a euphemism for you!), hardware and software that their clients
are currently burdened with, and (ii) that they have a lot of good hackers.
(Is this too cynical?)

I thought you, and your IP list, might like to try and answer for me the
question of just what respectable methods and tools (leave alone science
and even theory) lies behind the hype of "Systems Integration"?

Is there enough for it to be a suitable focus for one of our Seminars?
(After all, a lot of CS students will be seeking positions in these "System
Integration Companies".)

Cheers

Brian

Dept. of Computing Science, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK
EMAIL = Brian.Randell () newcastle ac uk   PHONE = +44 91 222 7923
FAX = +44 91 222 8232