Interesting People mailing list archives

the party is getting rough Chipper (see note 2 and 3) from RISKS

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1993 06:20:09 -0500

------ Forwarded Message

Date: Wed, 19 May 93 10:17:16 PDT
From: jim () RSA COM (Jim Bidzos)
Subject: Re: Clipper (Denning, RISKS-14.63)

Dorothy Denning wrote in RISKS-14.63, with respect to the key management
advantage of RSA over DSS, that the Capstone chip makes the key management
advantage "disappear."

I believe that trust is a very significant part of the advantage RSA enjoys
over DSS/Capstone, whether for signatures or key management.  The scrutiny RSA
has withstood in the 17 years since its discovery contributes to that trust.
The only way to make that advantage "disappear" is to publish everything about
Capstone, including the algorithm that the keys you manage are used with, and
wait a few years and a few hundred papers before proposing it as a standard.
(Since DES has withstood similar scrutiny, RSA and triple-DES have an
advantage to users both in and out of the US that is likely never to disappear
as it appears the government will never publish Clipper/Capstone details.)