Interesting People mailing list archives

PETERS: NOW IS NOT TIME FOR U.S. TO TURN ITS BACK ON ASIAN JUGGERNAUT

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1993 16:17:07 -0500

PETERS: NOW IS NOT TIME FOR U.S. TO TURN ITS BACK ON ASIAN JUGGERNAUT

By TOM PETERS

SYDNEY, Australia
THE Labor government was recently re-elected here. Yet it aims to toss out much
of what the working man has gained in the last several decades. Australia also
may bid adieu to Queen Elizabeth II and become a republic.

Why? A panic to shed a long-standing European bias and focus on the neighboring
Asian economic juggernaut. I sympathize with the urge. After a month touring
the Pacific Rim, I'm in shock myself.

Take Malaysia. It's growing at 8 percent a year -- the world slowdown be
damned. Though Malaysia is officially an Islamic country, Prime Minister
Mahathir bin Mohamad has no intention of letting religion stall his capitalist
transformation. Local Islamic doctrine is expanding the definition of jihad, or
holy war, to include hard work!

The skyline of the capital city, Kuala Lumpur, is a blur of construction
cranes; sounds of non-stop riveting, even through double-glazed hotel windows,
make sleep almost impossible. To the north in Penang, Japanese and U.S.
companies are going gangbusters in electronics: doing sophisticated design
work, not just assembly tasks as in earlier days.

Here's the drift: First, the Japanese economy took off. Then, as wages and the
yen soared, Japan started shipping low-value-added work to the likes of Korea,
Taiwan and Singapore. Next, the Koreans and others raced up the value-added
chain and began sending lesser-value work to Malaysia and Thailand. Now
Malaysia and Thailand are also shooting toward the high-end stratosphere and
exporting lower-wage tasks to places such as Indonesia.

Newly rich Chinese coastal provinces, climbing the productivity ladder in goods
and services themselves, are shifting mundane activities to less progressive
inland provinces. And in India, cities such as Bangalore have quickly become
software design centers.

You've heard about $1,000 business luncheons and $100 melons in Tokyo. But how
about $1,000-a-bottle cognac slurped by Chinese entrepreneurs? They drink it
``as if it were Yangtze River water,'' according to an Australian business
magazine.

Then there's China's first Ferrari (with a $135,000 price tag) and the arrival
of one delegate to a recent Guangdong Province Communist Party meeting in a
gold-painted Mercedes. Beijing's first international fashion show was attended
by Valentino himself -- as an official guest of the government!

Such anecdotes are backed by hard numbers: China's economy, recently
reclassified as the world's third largest, grew 14 percent in 1992; Guangdong
increased 19 percent. Fixed-asset investment leaped 70 percent last year in
``sleepy,'' state-run enterprises, 93 percent in locally run corporations. And,
oh yes, citizens have been rioting to get share applications in the burgeoning
Shanghai Exchange. (Fifty-thousand Chinese shareholders are added to the
capitalist rolls each week.)

A recent Asian survey claimed the Japanese are the least happy people in the
region. Unhappy, maybe, but wealthy, definitely: not the frenzy of Malaysia,
but a quiet, pervasive and confident opulence that conjures up a giant
Switzerland.

Tokyo's Ginza district is closed to cars on Sundays and turns into a massive
upscale shopping mall. Clothes worn for strolling (and being seen) signal heady
wages and the ever more valuable yen -- and, recession or not, all-day crowds
jamming even the Filofax (personal organizers) store suggest a willingness to
spend.

The story is echoed in the boondocks: In little Wajima on the tip of Noto
Peninsula, most garages sport two cars. A new-found penchant for big four-wheel-
drive vehicles is causing a problem, though -- the need to re-garage Japan.
Nissan Terranos and Isuzu Bighorns won't fit in the tiny stalls; walk down a
quiet neighborhood street, and you'll pass several half-open garage doors with
Terrano or Bighorn snouts proudly protruding.

In the midst of all this, we Americans (journalists, policy-makers, the man and
woman on the street) stubbornly continue to focus on Europe, to the extent that
we gaze at all beyond our borders. We are blowing it and blowing it big by not
eating, sleeping, breathing Asia.

There's never been a worse time to turn inward. Asia, where our trade already
exceeds that with Europe, is the teeming center of a huge, sophisticated
civilization busting loose. Yet Asians are increasingly dismayed by our
attitude: Are we committed to global leadership? Why is the world's richest
country (we are) turning isolationist (we are) at the very moment when, after
half a millennium, they are breaking out?

After a month on their turf, I share the dismay. Now is the hour to embrace
Asia, to revel in its energy, not run and hide. Should Asians become
disillusioned and see us as less than trustworthy partners, not committed to
the long haul, this matchless economic playground could easily turn into a mine
field.

Tom Peters is the author of ``Liberation Management'' and co-author of ``In
Search of Excellence'' and is the founder of several Palo Alto companies.