Interesting People mailing list archives

"Modem tax"

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1993 13:01:08 -0500

Posted-Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1993 11:47:34 -0500 (CDT)
From: karl () genesis mcs com (Karl Denninger)
Subject: "Modem tax"
To: com-priv () psi com
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1993 11:47:34 -0500 (CDT)

Hmmmm.....

My hat may be in my hand.  I am now attempting to verify the content of the
docket which was referenced (I had seen what looked like a quite-authentic
and official copy of same before I originally posted -- in hard-copy form!)
in my previous message about taxing modem users to death in order to fund
the NII.

I'll attempt to get a much better look, and grill the person who had that
copy (no, I'm not about to mention names -- at least not yet :-)

Until I can verify this, it is probably better to consider it a hoax.  No
point in raising the alarm bells over nothing.

--
Karl Denninger (karl () genesis MCS COM)   | You can never please everyone except
Modem Access: [+1 312 248-0900]         | by bankrupting yourself.